Chapter 5

Once I was announced as the winner my twitter gained quite a few followers, which felt pretty cool but I never really tweeted that much only really retweeting some stuff every once in a while.
I had three weeks to sort everything I would need, I decided to take a rucksack rather than a suitcase because I was going to be traveling around. I had my clothes packed two days early because I'm a worrier and I had repacked a couple of times making sure I had everything.
The day finally came and Dad dropped me off at the bus station, I'm not really sure what he thought of this trip, he did a similar thing when he was my age but he went to America to work and travel.
"Remember you can always just fly home if you get scared, stay safe" he says before kissing my forehead.
I show the driver my ticket got on the bus for Dublin airport.
I was getting nervous, I had only flown on my own once and it was a 40 minute flight to England. Once I checked my bag in I go through security, I then have 2 hours to wait before the gate is shown, I get an extremely overpriced coffee and begin to read my book, after what seemed like an eternity the gate number flashes onto the departures board. I grab my stuff and head for the gate, the airplane is way bigger than I'd expected, I have that awkward conversation where I had to tell the person they need them to get up so you can get into my seat, once I sit down at the window I pull my phone out and text Grace to tell her I was on the plane and I'd check in when I landed and got some sort of WiFi.
As everyone else boards I take one last scroll through Instagram, I notice Hayley has a story up and I load it and immediately wish I hadn't. It's a photo of food at a restaurant but I can clearly tell the person opposite her is Will because he's wearing the shirt I bought him last Christmas. This is going to be a long 7 hours.

When the safety brief is over I put my headphones in and begin listening to a podcast and browsing through the movies available, I watch a couple of movies then read my book. My mind has already thought of 500 theories about Hayley and Will.
Once we land I collect my bag and head out towards the exit, I see a taxi driver with 'Miss Matthews' printed on a piece of paper. I head over and he carries my rucksack to the taxi before driving me to the hotel.
The hotel is amazing, marble floors and lots of wealthy looking people, I feel like I don't fit. I meet the organisers of the competition and thank them for letting me come before I'm shown to my room, I have a quick body shower and get changed into a denim skirt with a tshirt tucked in loosely before my complimentary food arrives. I eat while I apply makeup, which doesn't take long considering all I brought is concealer, powder, an eyelash curler and mascara. compared to home its extremely warm here and I was sure I was going to sweat this make up off before I'd even got to the venue.
The meet and greet is before the concert so I'm collected by a taxi at 4:25pm and driven the short distance to the arena. I feel a little sick from a mixture of being too warm and being nervous. Luckily the arena is nice and cool inside, I make a quick dash to the bathroom to repowder my face and reapply deodorant before I join the queue with all the other VIP fans.
I feel really old, all the other girls are 18 at oldest, although I do look young for my age so I don't think anyone noticed.
We shuffle up gradually and finally I'm next.
"Here's Jenny our competition winner all the way from Ireland" says the guy who I'm guessing is in charge. I smile awkwardly walking over.

"So you're the crazy Irish girl with no flight home" Shawn says laughing before giving me a hug. Great, he thinks I'm crazy fan.

__________________________