Chapter 45

Micheal has called a taxi to take us the next morning, I like how organised he is because it makes my life that bit easier. I grab my bag and pace around the room throwing things into it. "Notebook, pen, planner, phone, wallet..." I say out loud to myself. I think for a second then remember to bring my reusable coffee cup, I grab it as I head out to the hall where Micheal is waiting.

"Taxis here" He says as he shrugs on his jacket. The drive is silent, once the car stops we split the fare and get out. I freeze when I realise where we are, the building in front of me is the same building I'd met Shawn at after he'd went to that meeting, before we'd gone ice skating.

"What are you doing?" Micheal says shoving me lightly. "Come on, this way" he leads me to the smaller building beside the one I'd been staring at. We head inside and the hand shaking and 'hi, nice to meet you, I'm Jenny' protocol begins for what seems like a never ending ocean of people. The office is much bigger than I'd expected, Michael and I are shown our desks which are side by side with a small divider between. After we have an induction on logging onto the computers, how the printers and plotters work and the fire drill procedure we are allowed to leave.

"Coffee?" I ask as we exit the building.

"Sounds good" Micheal says as he types on his phone. "There's a coffee shop just corner" the coffee shop is almost empty with just a few business looking people at some of the tables.

Once we've sat down I notice Micheal looks a little lost, I then realise he doesn't have his book with him.

"No book huh?" I ask.

"I didn't think we'd go anywhere so I didn't bring it" I says.

"Oh well at least now you can't just ignore me" I say with a sarcastic smile and he rolls his eyes and looks away.

"I don't ignore you, I just don't respond" he mumbles.

"Okay let's do three questions" I know already that he's going to hate this.

"Why are you so damn nosey?" He says with a hint of sarcasm.

"I prefer the term curious" I say and he scoffs. "If I'm going to live with you I'd like to know something about you, I literally only know your name and that you like books" I laugh a little and Micheal smiles.

"Why Do you want to know?" He says.

"Well knowing things about someone is what makes them a friend rather than a stranger, unless you would rather just be strangers" I say.

"Fine by me" he shrugs.

"Oh come on aren't you even a little curious about me?" I ask and he shakes his head before sipping his coffee. "Wow am I that boring?" I laugh.

"You can tell me if you want but it won't change anything, I will still treat you exactly the same" he says.

"You're no fun, but I'm going to ask you stuff anyway" I say and he sighs. "so do you have any siblings?"

"No" he says bluntly.

"Okay your turn ask me something"

"Can you ever sit in silence or do you always feel obligated to talk?" He asks, I cant tell if he's being genuinely mean or sarcastic but I give him benefit of the doubt.

"I'm just chatty, I have plenty of time for silence when I'm in my apartment, so what age are you?"

"25, what age are you?"

"22, 23 soon" I say. "Okay last one, what do your parents do?"

"Pilot and pharmacist" he says, that explains a lot. "Have you ever lived not with your parents?"

"Yea for 4 years at university" I say and he looks shocked. "Why? Do you think I'm some spoiled kid?" I ask and he shrugs.

"I'm just wondering how long it will take for you to get homesick" he says.

"I'm here for the long haul, don't worry" I say. "So you're a super rich kid?" I ask and he turns to look at me.

"What?"

"You're parents both have careers in some of the highest paying jobs, you're an only child and still love at home even though your bound to have enough money to move out, so your parents house must be better than living independently" I say and he looks a little annoyed.

"Well James is never home with work and Karen is either at work or away with her friends so it's like my own house"

"Oh and you call your parent by their names, interesting" I say stroking my pretend beard before laughing.

"I'm just going to stop talking" he says and I laugh more.

"For real though is your house like a mansion?" I ask.

"No, it's a nice house but I don't live like royalty" he rolls his eyes. "So what do your parent do?"

"Oh bonus question?" I ask sarcastically and he honestly looks like he's about to get up and leave. "Okay I'll stop with the sarcasm now, my dad is a farmer and my mum is a director of a company" I say.

"Well your clearly not to bad off either then" he says.

"Well my mum lives in London so it's just my dad" I say. "And there isn't that much money in farming"

"Oh, didn't take you for a divorce kid" he says.

"What does that mean?" I ask, slightly offended.

"Doesn't mean anything bad, you just seem like you come from one of those perfect families with white pickets fences and all that" I have no idea if this is a compliment, although I did appreciate how Micheal just said his thoughts and didn't bother sugar coating them. I get lost in thought of how I have managed to portray myself as some rich, fortunate kid. "Stop overthinking it, you just never said anything about your family. I read the situation wrong" Michael says.

_______________
Thanks for reading!!
Almost at 30k!!