Science Project (Kleinsen)

I like this ship more than I should.

For the most part, Jared hated school. He hated his classes, he hated his grades, he hated his teachers, he hated his locker, he hated his peers...all except...one. That was Evan. Evan Hansen. He couldn't exactly explain how he felt about Evan. It was one of those situations where he was right in the middle of two different feelings. He wanted to push him away...but...pull him closer. Those are two opposites, yeah, but...that's the point, really. Evan made him a jumbled mess of words and thoughts. So...he just...well, he was mean to him. And, that was going fine for the longest time. It kept Evan away so he could keep those feelings away too. It was a simple solution.

Until the two were paired together for a class assignment.

It was for science class. A project on feelings. How they affected people, how they were conceived and felt, why they were felt, stuff like that. In front of Evan, Jared had just rolled his eyes and said, 'Don't get us failed, twitchy.’ Even if that left Evan wanting to cry, Jared was upset at himself for using the horrible name of 'Twitchy’ He could do better than that. God, he just had to be a mess around Evan and his cute little fucking voice whenever he stuttered back, ‘Jerk’ It didn't even hurt to be called a jerk, it hurt to hear his sweet voice talking to him. He wasn't going to be able to manage it. He'd have to go to his house! He'd have to talk to him for, maybe, two hours! He'd have to be in the house where Evan lived. Probably in his room, which was everything Evan and everything Evan liked and that woodsey smell he had and his clothes scattered everywhere, which by the way, happen to be so cute. He'd be completely surrounded with Evan and his clothes, his bed, his stuff, his whatever the hell he had in that room.

And when that day finally came, the Friday he'd go home to Evan's house and work on the project with him...he wasn't prepared in the least. He'd been to Evan's house before, since their mothers were such good friends, but never had he had more than a glance into Evan's room. Whenever the two reached his house, the blond lead Jared up to...oh great, his room, and began putting his stuff from school up, remaining mostly silent. And then he shut the door and took a seat on his bed. That meant Jared had to take a seat on his bed. He did, he followed along like it was nothing, but it was giving him an off feeling. He was sitting in his crush's bed. About to work on a science project with him. It was great and all he was there, but that's most definitely not what he'd want to be doing in Evan's bed for sure.

Jared quickly shook the feeling before other bad things happened, forcing himself to look more relaxed and use the most forced smile possible to say, 'ay I don't wanna be here’ but it probably told exactly what it meant, 'hey I'm gay for you’ Evan smiled a genuine smile, being the gullible guy he is, and probably thought Jared meant it. And to Jared, that was the most precious thing ever and an angel was sent to kill him. Maybe he was a bit overdramatic.

And then it went from there. Exactly how you'd imagine. Study, study, research, put some model together, study, blah blah blah. Until Evan said something. Just a simple question, but...it...made this whole situation turn around. “Hey, Jared, we need an example.”

Jared just raised his eyebrow, “Use something about your creepy obsession with Zoe Murphy.” Then he just chuckled, watching Evan's face heat up. “I-I'd rather not...you do this. Just this. People'll think I'm weird...I'm sure you like someone, right? How about a family member you care about?”

Jared used yet another sarcastic move, rolling his eyes, “I don't care about shit, Hansen. Maybe like, one person.”

Then was the thing that turned the whole situation around. Evan huffed and pulled out a green flashcard, writing down 'For example, one person I feel the emotional LOVE for is ______’ and then he handed it to Jared. “Then say why and what makes you feel that way. Really easy. Use your mom or something.” Jared took the piece of paper in his hand and looked at it for a moment.

Now or never, Kleinman.

Jared then took a pen and filled in the blank with ‘Evan Hansen’ written sloppily before continuing to write, ‘because he's a sweet and adorable person that no one on this earth deserves, even though I wish I did.’ That's what Jared felt. And there it was, finally it words. He loved Evan Hansen but Evan Hansen was too precious of an angel to ever be his, much less was it likely Evan was into guys. Then Jared just pretty much aggressively handed Evan the slip of paper. His blue eyes began to scan the card, his cheeks becoming a pink tint. After a moment, his voice came out in a soft stutter, “...d-do...do you love me, o-or is this a joke…?”

Jared could feel a squeeze in his chest but he powered through it, leaning closer and cupping Evan's cheek. “It's not a joke and I do love you. Only you. But I get it if you either hate me or don't like guys at all.” Evan blinked and before Jared even knew it, he felt Evan's soft lips being pressed against his, all in the matter of an instant. Evan was kissing him. He was kissing Evan back. Before he knew it, it was...a deep kiss. It escalated into a makeout session, Jared finding himself hovering over Evan with Evan's back pressed against the bed while panting softly. Of course, it didn't go farther than that, at least not that night. But Evan grinned and muttered breathlessly that he loved Jared, leading him to smile and pull him in for another kiss.

In case you're wondering, they failed for saying that the project led them to start a relationship. Even kissing in front of the class to prove it didn't do a thing. It just got them detention.