Heartbeat (Kleinsen)

 Evan's breathing began to pick up as he recalled something from earlier. His backpack. He'd left it on the bus. That backpack had all his work and his keys and his spare jacket and his notebook where he wrote his letters. Oh no...oh no. Sure no one would touch it and he'd get it back tomorrow quite early, considering he was the third person to arrive on the bus every morning, but his mind wasn't working right. It was in a state of panic. And he couldn't get inside the house. His mom was at work and had a meeting that day, she couldn't just swing by to unlock the door for him. So Evan was absolutely panicking. He took a deep, shaky breath and sat down on his porch, pulling his phone out of his pocket. He'd text Jared. Jared was his best friend, after all...and he always helped in these situations where Evan was being overly dramatic or worrying far too much.

He clicked on Jared's contact and sent a message saying: 'Sorry to bother you but I left my backpack on the bus and it had all my stuff, even my keys so I can't get in and I'm kinda panicking. I'm sorry but I just need someone to talk to until my mom gets home’

Not even two minutes later, Jared's sending a message back: 'don’t worry evan ill come get u’ Evan smiled a bit, feeling himself calm down for a second. Jared was...too good for him. Sure, he was a snarky little asshole at times, but if Evan needed him, he was there.

Soon enough, Jared was coming down his driveway, waving at Evan from where he was. Evan's breathing was evening out, but that pit of worry was still churning in his stomach when Jared arrived at his porch.

Jared didn't even say anything, he just crouched down and took a seat beside Evan before reaching for his hand. And the question that somehow always made him feel as if he could melt for the guy: “One to ten…?” That basically meant how do you feel, how worried are you. It was something Jared made up for situations where Evan was having an anxiety attack or a panic attack, and each number had a way to fix it. He had his favorite, so he usually said six. Six had the best one.

“S-six…”

Jared nodded and slowly wrapped his arms around Evan's waist, pulling him closer. Evan rested his head right over Jared's heart, since he knew the drill. They'd done this a million times before, and each time was just as calming as the last. Everytime still filled him with a sense of protection and made him...blush...just a bit.

Jared's heart always sounded the same. A steady beat of one, two, one, two, one, two. It never failed, even if the guy seemed afraid for Evan. And it wasn't just that calming sound, it was also the smell. Jared had this calming scent of lightly sprayed cologne, or like he'd just showered. It was quite addicting, and it made Evan want to steal his clothes...or maybe snuggle up to him…but that was only for seven situations.

Evan would be lying if he said he didn't like Jared, but that confession could wait for some other time. Because at that moment, he was falling asleep. Right there on his porch in Jared's arms, being steadily rocked back and forth as a soft and almost barely there kiss was pressed to his forehead. He was calm now. And maybe just a bit flustered.