Chapter 8

We got the walls well fortified, they were sturdy and would hold up, everyone was training regularly, we used ammo sparingly, along with other supplies, we rationed food more strictly, and went out in larger groups once a week. We were sending out groups of four in every direction within a mile to set traps so we would be safe in every direction, some set up ten traps in their radius, some set up five, so that we would be ready for them when they arrived. Daryl's concern for me kept me at the warehouse, I helped set up the wall, and set a few traps nearby.

"We need to make a run." I said to Daryl early in the morning, as we laid in bed.

"Yeah I can do that." Daryl said simply.

"I mean we." I gestured to both of us. "Need to make a run. There are still things we need for the baby."

"No, that ain't happening." Daryl argued. "You have three weeks left before the baby comes."

"Exactly, only three weeks to get stuff for the baby." I said expressively. "Pfft, I was ready to push running from walkers when I was pregnant with Scout. I'll be fine." I assured him.

"Babe, what do we need that you have to be out there?" Daryl asked with a heavy sigh.

"Some more clothes, I was hoping to find some cloth diapers, either that or fabric to make cloth diapers. Everyone has their own. A bed for the baby, maybe some soap if we can find it, baby items, we have hardly anything, cause we've been cooped up in here." I explained.

"Write a list, I'll go with a group to get it." Daryl ordered.

"No, I'm coming with." I argued. "Daryl had you been with me when I was pregnant with Scout more then likely you would've kept me locked up somewhere."

"Then you wouldn't have had Scout in some abandoned little shack, surrounded by walkers." Daryl said angrily.

"Of course you bring that up, Daryl I will be fine, I haven't had any contractions, we just have to look through some neighborhoods, maybe we'll find what we need." I said simply.

"We'll see what everyone else thinks first." Daryl said not happy.

"Then I guess we will." The two of us got dressed, Scout already off to school, and we headed out.

We gathered our group of friends together to settle our debate.

"Hazel wants to go on a run, for baby stuff." Daryl started.

"Well yeah we don't have much." Alicia stated.

"She wants to go out with a group." Daryl clarified.

"Well that shouldn't be a problem." John smiled, June nudging him. "What?"

"Look guys, I know what I need, and writing a list I feel like I would forget something after it was too late." I explained. "If I go out, I'll be able to get everything I need in the one trip."

"But there is a bigger threat out there then just the walkers now." June added.

"Look I know because I'm pregnant is the only reason we are having this conversation, I can go out on a run and I will be fine." I said slightly annoyed.

"You were a big help to us all those years ago, even though you were pregnant." Luciana added in quietly.

"Thank you!" I pointed at her. "You guys, I was still handy, I hunted, I killed, I scouted, and I collected what we needed, all while pregnant." I reminded them all.

"All those in favor of going with Hazel on her run." Alicia said raising her hand. Victor, John, and Luciana also raising a hand. "Come on Daryl, you can keep an eye on her while we're out." Alicia said trying to convince him.