Chapter 18

There had been a slow trickle of walkers coming in since we arrived. All the gunfire from the warehouse must've drawn them in. I'm sure they had a good meal there, then they must've just kept moving this direction. It was manageable, and seemed to be thinning out, so hopefully things would be getting back to normal. It was very early in the morning when someone came to our house pounding on the door.

"I'll go see what's going on." Daryl climbed out of bed, pulled on a shirt and went to the living room.

Rue started to stir, and I scooped her up, taking her to my bed and began feeding her. I sat upright waiting for Daryl to return, when he did he was in a hurry.

"What's going?" I asked, as I watched him struggle to change.

"We got walkers coming in, a lot of them." Daryl informed. "We could use everyone's help." He mentioned.

"Okay I'll come help." I was about finished feeding Rue.

"No, Scout can come help." Daryl stated.

"Oh, are you sure?" I asked worried.

"Yeah, I'm sure." Daryl stuffed his feet into his boots then went and woke up Scout.

"Wha..." Scout sat up half awake.

"I need your help, we got an emergency." Daryl explained. Scout immediately snapped awake, and stumbled out of bed to get dressed.

"I'll be out there in a bit to give you a break, alright?" I said to Daryl.

"I'll be fine." Daryl grumbled.

"Daryl Dixon don't make me mom-voice you in front of everyone." I warned him. "It's okay to take a break." I raised a brow at him.

"We'll see." Daryl grumbled. Scout was dressed, and his weapons ready. Scout ran over and gave me a hug.

"Thank you for the new bow and arrows mom." Scout said gratefully.

"No problem." I kissed the top of his head.

"Love you." Daryl wrapped his arm around me, kissing my forehead.

"Love you too." I said back.

As I watched them both walk out of the bedroom I was filled with instant anxiety. What if I didn't see them again, what if this was just like last time, I couldn't handle losing them again. Once Rue was done eating and fast asleep, I laid her down while I got dressed. I pulled on a hoodie and beanie, and laced my boots, I was not changing out of my sweats, and adjusted my sling carrier onto my body. I picked up Rue gently placing her in the carrier, adjusting the tightness, and tucking her in comfortably. I packed a few things into the diaper bag, including a couple extra shirts for me and Daryl. I quickly made my way outside, with my slingshot and ammo in tow, ready to kill some walkers and protect my boys.

"Hazel you shouldn't be out here, especially with Rue." Victor stopped me before I could even get close.

"Victor, both my boys just walked out the door, I've seen them walk away and come back broken, I am not going to do that again." I said angrily. "So get the fuck out of my way." I pushed past Victor and went for the build up that everyone was trying to take down.

I stayed about five feet behind everyone, aiming my slingshot, nailing a walker in the head that was near Daryl. It caught him off guard and he looked back, instant anger on his face.

"Why're you out here, and with Rue?" Daryl walked over to me.

"I'm back here, nothing's gonna happen." I shot another walker from afar. "We'll talk later." I grumbled at him, and he went back to the barrier to help.