Chapter 15

After Alicia cleaned the baby's throat out, Daryl cut the umbilical cord with his knife. Then after I was cleaned up and comfortable Daryl slowly walked over to me, and I carefully took the baby from Daryl's arm. Placing our new baby on my bare chest, then Daryl covered me and the baby in a couple thick blankets.

"Hazel, Daryl, you guys here?" We heard June call through the house.

"Over here." Alicia called back. June appeared in the doorway, looking around confused until her eyes settled on me, a look of surprise.

"Did you have the baby?" June was in shock.

"Yup." I smiled teary eyed my voice cracking.

"Let me go get everyone else, you must be hungry, let me go get you something." June spoke a million miles an hour.

"June, can you check up on the baby before you run off?" Daryl asked.

"Oh, yeah." June peered over the baby that was nuzzled against my chest. June had her bag of supplies with her, so she could check vitals, even the baby's weight. "6 pounds even, she's a little one."

Daryl and I could not stop looking at our baby girl, she was beautiful, she had light brown curls on top of her head that was covered with a tee shirt sleeve that was knotted on top, round cheeks, pouty pink lips, she was so small.

"You wanna try to feed her now?" June asked.

"Oh, yeah." My voice came out in a whisper, I was in another world I forgot about feeding her. June watched closely as I guided my baby girl to my breast to nurse her, Daryl sitting right next to me, wanting to see too. "Come on baby girl." I coaxed, until she finally latched on to my breast, very hungry. Then that reminded me, it had been 24 hours if not more since I had eaten, and I felt like my head was spinning.

"Are you okay?" Daryl noticed my face flush.

"Just realized, haven't eaten in a while." I put my hand to my forehead, feeling horribly, horribly off.

"I'll get her something." June ran out of the room.

"Are you going to faint?" Alicia asked cautiously, ready to take the baby if I did.

"Take her." I passed the baby off to someone I don't know who, then it went black.

---

"Hazel, Hazel." I heard echo into my mind, until finally I opened my eyes seeing June, Alicia, and Daryl. "Hazel say something."

"What?" I grumbled.

"Hazel you fainted, I got food here I want you to eat, okay?" June said to me.

"Okay." I mumbled, that's when Daryl began to feed me, I was too out of it to even do that. After a few minutes of eating, I was coming around, and I could finally feed myself. "Where's the baby?" My voice scratched out.

"Sleeping over there." Daryl said pointing over to Alicia that had the baby wrapped in a couple blankets, holding her close to keep her warm.

"So have you guys thought of a name yet?" June asked, as she looked over the baby.

"Eh, we've got a few." I shrugged with a mouthful of food.

After successfully feeding the baby this time, Daryl and I both washed up with rags and water, and fresh clothes. We bathed the baby together, Daryl absolutely in awe over our baby, he held her small head in his large hand, while I scrubbed her little body clean. I heard Daryl sniffle a couple times, I glanced at him seeing his eyes filled with tears.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"I was here, I made it just in time. I almost wasn't here." Daryl's voice shook. I wrapped my arm around his back pressing my head against his.