Chapter 2

Today, was a scheduled boring day, there was no runs today, and we had so many people rotating through watch that it had been two weeks since the last time I did watch. So I would be doing more tedious work today, inventory, and also mending and patching clothes; fun I know. Daryl and Scout were gearing up to go hunt, and check traps, Scout always got excited about these trips. Going outside the warehouse was his favorite thing to do, he craved to be outside, just like Daryl.

"You're up early, you aren't leaving until noon." I said to Scout who was packing up his backpack.

"I know, I wanted to pack some stuff, just in case." Scout said eagerly.

"In case of what?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"In case we have to stay the night out there." Scout grinned.

"You're just checking traps, and hunting, you ain't staying the night out there." I shook my head at him.

"Aw mom, but I really want to." Scout whined. It had been a good long while since Scout had to sleep out there, with his back against a tree, or in a log, or under a desk in an abandoned office. I guess even though it was a stressful time, he missed that time in his life, cause that's all he knew until a couple years ago.

"Talk to your dad about it." I shrugged, I didn't want to be the bad guy all the time. "Here, this'll lighten up your pack a bit." I handed Scout my bracelet made out of paracord, he just looked at me confused. "You can take this apart and use the rope, also, the buckle is a fire starter."

"Ohhh." He smiled as I buckled the bracelet around his wrist.

"Ready to go bud?" Daryl stepped into Scout's side of the sheet house.

"Yeah let's go!" Scout pulled his pack on to his back, running for the front gate.

"I'll see you later babe." Daryl gave my lips a quick peck, before he headed out.

Then I was off to do my tedious job, I went down the hallway, until I came to the mending room, a large box sitting outside the door, filled with clothes and other things, greeeat. I went into the sewing room grabbing a small caddy that held everything I would need, pins, needles, thread, and patches; there were a couple other people that helped mend clothes, they did the bigger jobs, that required the sewing machines. Even though all my work was hand sewn it always held up very well, not bragging or nothing, but my patches hold. I then grabbed another box, and started sorting through the clothes, socks, pants, shirts, a few jackets, hoodies; I took what I could fit into my box and made my way outside.

I liked to be outside, it was warm, it was bright out here, better for seeing holes. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed patching clothes. I mean we didn't have the luxury of heading down to the store and purchasing new things. Every store around here was cleaned out of clothes, I remember underwear being the first thing to go, it was impossible to find, but sometimes you'd get lucky.

I had gotten through half my box when the sun began to set, the rest I would have to mend inside. I collected my things and strolled back into the warehouse, hearing commotion at the front gate, Daryl and Scout must be back. The closer I got to the gate I realized it wasn't them, it was someone else.

"What's going on?" I set down my box as I approached Morgan.

"Someone wandered in." Morgan said as he examined the situation from afar.

"I'll check it out." We bumped the side of our fists and I walked over to the gate. I saw a slender woman with dirty long brown hair, but a very familiar face.

"Hazel?" She was looking directly at me with a shocked smile on her face, then it hit me.

"Sherry?" She ran toward me, and hugged me tightly and I hugged her back. "I didn't know what had happened to you, if you were even alive." I confessed.