34

After showering together, Evelina wraps a towel around her naked body and leaves our room—her room—to get ready

After showering together, Evelina wraps a towel around her naked body and leaves our room—her room—to get ready. I tell her I'll have Helena hire professionals to transfer her closet to mine and arrange our belongings. I want her presence in my space to be complete and undeniable.

I head downstairs to the kitchen after getting dressed, craving a cup of coffee. Helena greets me with a warm smile, her eyes twinkling as she helps me prepare my drink.

I can't help but notice her knowing smile as she glances over her shoulder at me. I try to hide my goofy grin behind the mug and clear my throat. "Helena, I need you to make some adjustments upstairs after Evelina and I leave. Could you hire a professional staff to move Evelina's clothes to my bedroom's closet?"

At first, she looks too stunned to speak, then she says, "She is finally moving to your room?" I almost choke on my coffee. Finally moving. It's as if she's been anticipating this for a while now. She quickly shakes her head, "Um, I'll make sure to get it done before you're back home."

"Thank you," I reply, a hint of gratitude in my voice.

We fall into an awkward silence. Helena has been a constant in my life since pre-school. She practically helped raise me alongside my mother. When my mother passed away, Helena treated me like her own. I owe her so much.

Suddenly, Helena's hand rests on my shoulder. "Your mother would've loved her, you know," she says softly.

"You think?" I ask, slightly surprised.

"Oh, definitely. I know this marriage is a mutual agreement between the two of you, but I think it could be something more."

I shake my head, conflicted. "I don't think she likes me that way," I admit.

We are definitely attracted to each other physically, but emotionally, we seem to be on different planes. I hear Evelina's footsteps clicking on the floor as she comes downstairs. Turning my head, I can't help but watch her walk towards us—her presence always commanding my attention.

Helena removes her hand from my shoulder and welcomes Evelina, "Good morning. Do you want me to make you pancakes?"

"Morning, yes please," Evelina says as she sits next to me. Helena moves around the kitchen to prepare the batter for the pancakes. Evelina suddenly leans closer, her voice low. "She knows, doesn't she?"

"Well, you were quite loud in the shower," I tease, sipping my coffee. Evelina's hand quickly slaps my elbow. "Don't say things like that," she whispers, her cheeks turning a delightful shade of pink.

"So, when are we heading to your father's?" she asks, propping her elbows on the kitchen counter. I open my mouth to answer but find myself momentarily mesmerized by her beauty. She is wearing a light pink polka-dot summer dress that reaches just below her knees, paired with white sneakers. It is probably the most casual outfit I have ever seen her in, yet she looks absolutely stunning. Her black hair falls in soft waves to her waist, and she wears minimal makeup, making her natural beauty even more striking.