Seemingly Capable

Ascella's POV
I entered the campus and went to my first class. I listened carefully to the professor and took rapid notes. Even if it was an hour, everything seemed to be so quick. I walked out, fixing my notebooks and looking around for my next class. I've been on this campus so many times, but seemed lost. I huffed and looked around for help as I stood in the court yard. Suddenly, a voice came from behind me.
"You okay, miss?"
"Um, sorry, I'm just a bit lost. Should've taken the tour before hand-" I turned to see a very handsome man in what looked like a security uniform...

I cleared my throat and looked at my schedule, "You don't happen to know where the criminal justice class with Professor Kelley is, do you?"He smiled and nodded, "I do

He smiled and nodded, "I do."
"Um...would you be willing to show me or am I just gonna stand here like an idiot?"
He laughed and walked passed me, "C'mon."
I complied and rushed behind him. We arrived in minutes before it started and he walked off.
"Wait! What's your name?"
"Cooke. Enzo Cooke." He turned to me before smiling and turning a corner.
"Thanks." I whispered before entering the class.

Rafael's POV
I sat in my office, going through multiple files. Today was getting pretty hard and it looked like I wouldn't be leaving til late. I have to remind myself to leave to take Ascella out to dinner. I wrote more before Liv rushes in.
"Looks like we got him. C'mon."
I followed and we rode quickly to the precinct. Once we got there, I watched as Rollins and Fin interrogated him.
"I swear! I didn't do nothing! She was dead when I found her! I don't hurt kids!"
"You shouldn't hurt anyone! We found her body and her things where you were dealing that night! It's either you were bored and used her, or she didn't want to be sold." Amanda interjected. The man fidgeted and huffed.
"Looks like I-I need that lawyer now."
I groaned, drinking more coffee. Liv shook her head, "He matches the MO and everything. There's no chance now for a lawyer to save him."
I quickly texted ascella, but didn't press the send button due to all the distractions.
"Let's just get some more witnesses and accomplices. He deals kids to pedos. There's a lot of them in Manhattan itself." I sat in the squad room, "I'll stay to talk with his lawyer and any others." Please don't let this take too long...

Ascella's POV
After all my classes, I waited for Rafael to pick me up. I looked through my new textbooks quickly before a throat was cleared behind me. I turned to see the same security guard that helped me.
"Mr. Cooke."
"Lost girl." He grinned. I shook my head and held out my hand, "Ascella Amaro."
"Well, Ms. Amaro, what are you waiting for?"
"A friend. We're supposed to go to dinner together." I laughed sheepishly. A friend? Um, Ascella Amaro, he's your boyfriend for crying out loud! Well, I think...He nodded, "Of course...I would leave you, but it's my sworn duty as security to make sure all students are safe, and off campus by 12, if you don't have a night class. And I wouldn't leave a beautiful, though seemingly capable, girl out here by herself."
I furrowed my brows, "Are...you flirting with me?"
"Yes. And I hope this friend isn't your boyfriend."
I pushed hair behind my ear, feeling flustered, "I don't really know. He's..half an hour late. But it's his job. I don't blame him."
Enzo raised his brow, sitting next to me. We talked and talked as time passed. I checked my phone and looked around. Rafael was 2 hours late...we were supposed to go to dinner at 5 and now it's 7...
"Um...looks like he's a no show. I should call a cab or my dad..." I stood, feeling embarrassed. Enzo stood quickly and grabbed my arm, "Let me give you a ride."
"Enzo-"
"Please? I don't want you out here for another hour..."
I hesitated before following him to his car and getting in. We drove quietly, before he broke the silence.
"Address?"
I told him and the silence went on. I still felt so dumb for waiting for Rafael...I shouldn't have asked him to take me to dinner tonight. Enzo pulled into my driveway and we sat for a moment.
"Thank you for giving me a ride..."
He nodded, "Of course, no problem at all. Do you have class tomorrow?"
"Yeah...everyday until 5...but I think I might take weekends off soon...or just Sundays. You don't work weekends, huh?"
"I'm head of campus security, I choose when I come in."
I shook my head and smiled, "Well, I guess you wouldn't want to see a rascal like me, who makes you wait on campus after hours."
"Or, who can't seem to find her way around campus even though she took night classes here."
I turned to him and scoffed, "What are you? My personal stalker?"
"I'd like to say guardian angel."
"Oh, and now you're gonna end up swinging by my criminal justice class everyday just to mess around."
"Do you want me to?" He smirked. I rolled my eyes and gathered my things, walking to my door. He followed behind me and we faced each other, "Had to walk you to your door." He shrugged, looking at the threshold, "Nice place."
"Thanks. Grew up here."
"Why don't you dorm at Fordham?"
"My dad and stepmom recently separated and my mom took my sister, I couldn't bear the thought of leaving him."
"I'm sorry."
"Don't be. It's fine. I'm glad I stayed."
I unlocked my door and looked back at him, "Thanks, again..."
"No problem, Ascella. I'll see you tomorrow."
"See you." I smiled and went in, closing the door as he entered his car.

Rafael's POV
I woke up in my office, realizing I fell asleep while doing write ups. I looked at the time, seeing that it was already 9.
"Ascella!" I stood and looked for my phone. Once I found it, I dialed her quickly. It rang a few times before going straight to voicemail. I tried a few more times, and she picked up on the 5th.
"Hello?"
"Ascella."
"Rafael."
"I'm so sorry. I-I didn't realize how much worm I had and-and I was caught up at the precinct-"
"It doesn't matter anymore. I'm at home and I'm sure you're tired...."
"How about next week? Or tomorrow? I-"
"Rafael, please." She said sternly, "I..don't wanna be an added stress to your life. You're getting so worked up because you didn't take me to dinner. I think...I think it's best you focus on work."
"What are you saying?
"Do you remember our promise? The one you made me keep?"
I sighed and nodded, "If you wanted to date someone, you could...so people don't get suspicious of us..."
"I...I think we should go on with it...so you don't have to worry about me all day. I don't want you to lose any cases because of me."
"I won't. Ascella, I-"
"Goodnight, Rafael..."
I hesitated before my shoulders slumped, "Goodnight, Ascella. I love you..."
Silence rendered, but then she spoke, "I love you too.

XXXXXXXXXXXX
If y'all don't remember, Enzo Cooke (aka Ryan Kelley) showed up in season 11 or 12. That's one of my favorite Dr. Huang episodes lol