Prologue

Prologue:

"Hey, Sage, will you just take this guys order before you leave for duty?" Lenny, my boss at the diner, asked as he gave a customer her drink. "Sure, Len."

"Thanks," He smiled as he walked into the giant kitchen. I walked up to the last table for the evening that was in my section, An elderly couple sat there holding up their menu's as they chated amoung them selves. I felt my heart going all warm and fuzzy from the older couple as they were so cute! I loved seeing old people together and happy, it just made me feel, well, happy.

After serving the older couple and clocking out, I walked towards the beach while humming to myself. It was really sunny today in California and the beach was filled with people everywhere.

I quickly grabbed a red muscle tank that had 'life guard' written on the front and back with a pair of black shorts that had the little white aid sign on it. I then found my life guard waist belt bag and my red whistle, draping it aroud my neck. Once my waist belt bag was secured, I grabbed my big red rescue tube and climbed up the towering life guard chair to start my post.

I leaned back into the chair with ease taking in the beautiful view of the beach. I enjoyed working as a life guard. I loved the beach, swimming and sitting above everyone else, as if I was on top of the world.

But of course, I was that geek who worked at a diner and as life guard for 'fun' which was half the truth. I'm the head life guard so I got the little life guard hut that provided me shade and a giant metal stair case in front of me with a comfy chair, some shade and a roof. For the next few hours that passed, I watched as people swam and had fun with no care in the world.

"Hey, Sage!' Someone called from the bottom of the red booth. I peeread down and saw, Kyle, one of the very -may I say very- good looking life guards who worked here. Kyle had dirty blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes that stood out like the ocean. I had to admit, I have a bit of a crush on him. "Hi, Kyle," I quietly murmured.

He gave me a dazzling smile and climbed up the red metal stairs and into the little hut. I noticed that the beach was almost cleared off except for a few people getting out of the water and a group of teenagers walking towards the beach. "Do you want to clear out with me?" Kyle asked. "Sure," I smiled as he helped me down from the little hut.

We walked down the almost beach -the teenagers were still there far down the beach- setting their things down.

"Should we tell them thats its too late to swim here at this time? It's twelve and the beach technically closed thirty minutes ago." A frown was placed on his features as he stared down at his watch. I wanted to tell him that its okay let them be, let them have some fun but the other protective and agreeing side of myself was coming on strong, telling my mouth to agree with Kyle's words.

"I'll take care of it," I quickly blabbered, "You can go ahead, I got this." I smiled shyly, pushing back a loose strand of my brown hair that was falling out of my ponytail. I knew that I looked terrible right now.

I'm pretty sure I looked like a freaking walurs with flip flops and a red rescue tub.

Kyle gave me one last dazzling smile, "You sure? I could help and we could hang out maybe or-" But my stupid mouth cut him off, "No, no, its okay."

"Alright," He smiled lightly before jogging back towards the life guard house so he could probably return his equipment and get changed.

As I walked futher down the sand, I mentally slapped myself for declining Kyle's offer. See this is why I shoudnt be around hot guys, they just mess me up!

The group had disapeered, leaving their stuff on the sand so I decided to climb up a life guard chair and see if I could get a better look from up there. I noticed around eight figures swimming in the dark water. Five of them were passed the saftey line where the boats were and the other three were making their way over to the line.