Skylar

They stitched up three nine-inch slashes down her back. Alex had steady hands even in a stressful experience. I volunteered to stay awake and watch the girl who I now realized was the woman who helped my family off this boat. Payton stayed up with me because that was the only way to get Theo to sleep. I watched her as she wiped down Six's back.

"She didn't want to work here you know. She dreamed of being in the entertainment business. She fell in love with the arts." Peyton told me.

"Why is she called Six?"I asked.

"The same reason she ended up here. Foster kid. There were five other kids in the house, the people didn't learn her name and just referred to her as Six." Peyton said to me.

"So why did she end up here?" I asked her as she sat next to me.

"She grew up alone, and she didn't want anyone to feel the way she did. So every time they get a new 'shipment' she tries to get them home." she told me.

"And when she does..." 

"She gets whipped," Peyton explained to me.

"And so you clean and stitch her up." 

"And this is not a bad day. They didn't lose all of you guys so she didn't get the full beating." Peyton told me.

"How many times has she been on that table?" I asked.

"I was the only one here when I first arrived. That must have been seven... eight years ago. She came in once with Sam, once with Alex and Eli, once with May, and once with..." Peyton looked up from the table at me then looked away again. "They came in once with a baby. He's gone, They took him"

There was a long pause. Peyton pulled at her sleeves and sat up straighter.

"And those are the times that weren't bad. What about the times it was?" I asked quietly.

"Three times. Each one worst than the last, each time we told her to quit, each time she refused." 

"Could she quit?" I asked her

"I'm not sure," She stood back up and checked on Six. "I need fresh water. Well, what I need is a real doctor, she needs a doctor. It's not fair"

"Peyton. It's time for you to sleep." Sam told her. "Peyton?"

"It's not fair! It's not fair." Peyton cried onto Sam's shoulder. Sam lifted her up and carried her up the spiral staircase. If it wasn't so sad it would be impressed that he was strong enough to carry her.

"Did you sleep at all?" I asked Theo.

"Yes, two hours. It's your turn now." Theo told me. "It's three am."

"Just help me move her from this dirty table then I will go." So Apollo and I moved her off the table to the ground. I cleaned the table. We then put her back on it. She was still unconscious. "Ok, good night Theo I will send someone down to sit with you." (2/4/19)