Amethyst

"Dad?" I looked at him as he sat at his computer. "Tell me about mom?"

"Your mother was beautiful. She was strong and kind and brave." My dad told me. "She loved with all her heart and soul. She understood how others felt when they didn't. I never had to tell her about our time at the lab she just knew it."

I smiled at him and he pulled me into a hug. 

"She knew what to say and when to say it. But more than anything she loved her life. She loved you." My dad pulled his wallet out of his pocket and pulled something out. I expected it to be a picture of my mom. Instead, it was a small gem on the end of a long chain. "I've told you about how we chose your name right? You opened your beautiful eyes and looked at us and we just knew. And while that did happen we had the idea before. The night your mother told me she was pregnant with you was one of the happiest days of my life. She was never a traditional girl. Rarely wore jewellery and when she did it was an old necklace her father gave her. So that night when she gave me a little present I had one for her. I opened mine first and automatically asked her to marry me. That day was the start of the rest of my life and to me, it started with that necklace, this necklace."

"It's an amethyst," I told him. He nodded and put it on me.

"It was the beginning of our story. And I would be beyond happy if it was the end of it as well." My dad's voice began to shake. My throat closed up as I choked down tears of my own. Wrapping my arms around his neck I told him I loved him. When my mom died he felt alone. After moving across the country for his job and meeting her she died and he was alone to raise me. And just like my family always does, they stepped in. He was transferred closer to home and Aunt Lucy helped take care of not only me but her brother as well. (2/8/19)