1.13 Run With Me

"Who's Regina?" Lucy asks. The woman who seems to be in charge walks towards the balcony as she answers Lucy her question, "She is the woman who threatened you." How is this possible, she must have escaped. I run towards the balcony and look for my mom. I look at the parked bus behind the RV, "Mom?!" I wait for her to reply before I shout again, "Mom, where are you?!" I look at Regina, A.K.A. heavy smoker, "If you hurt her..." Regina cuts me off, "She's fine! and she'll stay that way unless you don't go by my rules!" As she finishes her threat she points her gun at Cindy, Michael's wife. "Now, if anyone tries to kill me or does something I don't want them doing, I will shoot this bitch." I hear some struggles behind me and some voices. I hear the woman shout something, but not to me, "If you go out there with that gun, she'll shoot someone, trust me, I know her. She wants me." I look behind me and see a guard on the ground with a bleeding nose and the woman who's in charge talking to Annebelle who's holding a gun, I look back at Regina, "What do you want?!" Regina smiles, "You killed my friend, I'm not that mad about that anymore, so I'll let you live. I just want Magna, if she hasn't told you her name yet, she's the boss-woman." I feel a hand on my shoulder and I look to my left and see Magna standing next to me, "Hello Regina. You wanted to speak to me?!" She shouts and then whispers something so soft I can barely hear it, "I'll keep her busy." I turn around and enter the room. I see Lucy, the guard, Annebelle, Max, Xavier and John standing around a table and walk towards them, "What's the plan?" Lucy looks at me, "We kill her." Oh okay, cool, I say nothing I just think that and keep walking and let them figure this one out and I'll do what they'll tell me. As I look through some drawers I hear Max behind me, "Hey, Julian. I just wanted to know if you were alright before we did this." I look at his face, it looks concerned, "What do you mean? Why wouldn't I be?" He puts his hand on my shoulder and looks me in the eyes, "You killed someone Julian, you took a life. Do you understand what that means? There's no going back from that." Why does he ask me this in the middle of a fight?! "Some people have been through much worse than I've been, I should be happy Max, don't worry about me. I'm fine, I'm always fine. I always have been and I always will be fine. Now, what do I do?" The look in his eyes hasn't gone away, but I don't need his concern, nobody has cared how I felt before everything happened and the rotters came, so why should they now?! I lush him asside and walk towards Lucy, "What's my part, Lucy?" I ask. Lucy looks at me, "I'm sorry Julian, I shouldn't have picked you to come with me... I'm just not good at reading people, Max told me you acted different since you shot that guy. I'm sorry Julian, but it wouldn't be smart to have you do something crucial in your current state." What the fuck?! I stare at them as they leave the room, only John stays behind. I look at him and he smiles an says, "I'm 60 years old" he laughs and sits down on the bed. I stare at a painting on the wall. It's abstract I look at the blue colours, their shape seems familiar. I stare for a bit more and then it get's me. It's shaped like a knife. A knife! I realize I have the knife in my shoe. I grab the knife and put it in my sleeve. I sprint through the hallway, down the stairs and through the front door, "Hi Regina, what was it like, losing your friend? How did it feel when parts of his brain splattered on your face." Her face says it all, "I said I wasn't that mad anymore, what are you doing?!" I keep walking towards her as she keeps talking, "What are you doing?! You messed up kid, I'm going to kill you after I killed Magna. You're dead kiddo." She points her gun at Magna and I keep walking forward, towards Regina. Just 3 more meters and I'll do it. Just 2... just 1... I let the knife slide into my palm and I hold onto it tightly, I aim for her face and I throw. I see the knife fly and hit her in the eye. She drops her gun as she screams and walks backwards,then I hear a gun shot and see her fal to the ground. All I can think of is my mom, I run to the bus and slam the door open. I look around and see my mom sitting in the back with the children, "Mom!" She looks up, "Julian!" She runs toward me and wraps her arms around me, "Thank God you're okay." I smile and I feel a tear run down my cheek. Then I feel my arms loosen, I try to tighten my grip but instead i fall to the ground. I struggle to keep my eyes open for a little while but eventually I close my eyes and everything remains black.

I've never been okay. I always hoped that something like this would happen. Not because I wanted everyone to die. Ofcourse not. But because people were destroying everything. Trees cut down, morors started and plastic being thrown away. The earth wouldn't survive unless all humans had other things to do than travel, make money and eat unhealthy stuff. You may think, but you still drive cars so you're travelling, we're not just travelling, we're running away. Not just from the rotters, but from reality. We're all going to die.