SUCH MIGHTY HEROES

"I awoke to the cold of his fingers slicing around my throat, crushing the air in my windpipe and slowly killing me. I don't even remember the dream at all. But I knew I dreamed of him, again."

–Words from Audrey's
personal journal

____

WASHINGTON D.C. ABANDONED SHOE FACTORY; LOCATION, UNKNOWN June 11th, 2012

     "DO you really do all that, 'Heil Hydra' crap?" Audrey asked as she fingered through the green leaves of American money.

     "Mmm, only when Strucker's around."

     "You mean, 'strutting' around?" Joe let loose a laugh off from his stressful chest, and Audrey's lip curved coolly into a smirk as she glanced over to Joe. A greedy delight took root in the chocolate of her irises once she counted the correct cash. "Be seeing you next time, chap." The Englishwoman lightly squeezed a hand on her dealer's shoulder before she departed and made for the factory's rusty doors.

     "Next time." Audrey caught the end of Joe's words as she stepped out of the factory. The man had disappeared around a corner without a sound. She shook her head and ignored the aura of a creepy thought, then slid the door shut. The hinges hissed a squeal as she slammed it closed.

     As she walked on the gravely road to her bike, her mind unintentionally drifted to Joe.

     Joe Martin worked as one of Hydra's dealers, distributing and collecting stolen items from individuals like Audrey, and in turn, sold them for a higher price. The money, in turn, went back into funding Hydra's weapons and their scientific resources.

     Half the dough would go to the crippled organization, while the other half settled comfortably in Audrey's hands—or inside her bra.

     The Englishwoman came to this factory when she had something worth selling to Joe. Although the assassin did not, and never had worked for anyone, she saw something in the man that perhaps would have been taken the wrong way, or not even seen at all by ordinary people.

     Joe worked for Hydra. That would have raised enough red flags for her to have stayed far away from the man, however, he was different. She noticed a decent quality in the man. For someone who had severe trust issues, especially with this corrupt administration, Audrey's discernment studied Joe from the inside out. And over time, she finally came to trust him a little more each time she gave him one of her stolen items.

     Seated on her small bike, she pulled the black bicker helmet over her head, turned the key in the ignition and shifted the gears into drive. Revving the engine, she started her way down the highway.

     Time for a celebrated dance for a successful mission.

____

     The sirens blared through the crisp autumn air. Audrey's running footsteps pounded the ground like fists that banged against a door. Her black Italian leather boots ran across the cobblestones inside a dark, damp, and narrow alleyway. A puddle splashed up against one of her combat boots as she ran into a deep pothole.

She suddenly came to a halt next to a fire escape. The metal ladder was cold and wet as she jumped once, clung to the bar, and used all her upper body strength to pull herself up and onto the first platform.

Her catty eyesight sought out any unusual activity below. She sank right into the brick wall as if she was one of the red bricks. The moonlight flashed down from the sky above in the midnight hours, blanketing a silvery curtain across the city. Tucked neatly behind some steps, Audrey's body was completely hidden in the darkness. Her eyes could have been mistaken as that of a demon's, for they were all black, and unless illumination from the moon hit them, they stayed that way.