CUTE BABY KITTEN

AUDREY ran up and off the side of the stone wall, coming down only to snap her leg out kicking the nearest guard. She landed gracefully on one knee, controlling her balance as she set both her palms facing down on the ground to keep her landing solid. She remained on the ground in a hunched position, head and shoulders curled inward, as Zachary leaped over top of his sister.

In midair roll, the shape-shifter transformed into a lion. His skin changing into the golden hue of the beautiful beast's fur, his hands shortening into the animal's stubby legs, and a tail sprouting out from behind his back. A ferocious growl erupted out of him as he flung his paws toward the nearest guard, talons outstretched and ready to dig their razor tips into the henchman.

His massive paws easily forced down one of Hydra's henchmen, slamming him to the ground. Zachary the lion glared down at the guard for a split second before opening wide his maw, and sinking his teeth into the man's throat.

Audrey bounced up just as he finished off his prey. She wrinkled her nose at spotting her brother, mouth and teeth now dripping of the guard's ruby blood. "That's disgusting." And walked past him.

She felt the air ripple and a shiver whorled down her spine. She still wasn't used to when he shifted. "It's not like I eat them. Now that's gross."

At first Audrey turned her head to see if Zachary's mouth was stained that awful red, but she had been pleasantly surprised to see his mouth was the same before he shifted. Clean. She turned back, ambling down the stretch of hall. "Still. Gross."

He rolled his eyes and muttered, "Such a girl."

Both siblings mutely carried on in their journey. Their boots near silent under the dark brown timbers that aligned the floor. A mahogany red carpet, as flat as a pancake, spread out before them on top of the floorboards. Audrey glanced at it once as she traveled down the hall, guessing it had to be as old as the castle itself, for she spotted some tattered and fraying ends. Signs of constant trekking up and down its length.

On some of the walls hung large tapestries depicting scenes from great battles, royal families, princes, princesses, kings and queens well before the two sibling's time. The walls, a milky white limestone, rose up forming an arch to the stone ceiling high above their heads.

The modern lanterns that ran off of electricity were nail driven into the stone to connect to the wall. Each light splashed the brick walls with its warm golden rays. Even though they weren't torches, to Audrey they appeared more or less like a modern type when she sighted each one next to a door.

Both siblings stopped near a bend in the hallway—Audrey crouching near the ground whilst Zachary stood over her, and ever so carefully, popped their heads around the corner. Audrey's head peeked from the bottom as Zachary's was just a few inches above hers.

At the end of the next hallway, were a pair of guards talking in German before two doubled doors that clearly they weren't keeping watch over. Audrey tugged on her brother's pant leg. He looked down quizzically. She pointed her finger in the opposite direction and they both stealthily crept back behind the bend.

"What?" Zachary whispered.

"We need a distraction to get passed them," she whispered back.

"Clearly." She continued to stare at him. He frowned and suddenly said, "No."

"Yes."

"Why me?"

"Because I can't shift into a cute baby kitten, that's why!" she whisper-yelled, growing ever more impatient.

Zachary bristled for a split second. "Don't." He started through gritted teeth. "Say that word."