POSITIVE VIBES

"I wish my father was dead, and my mother alive. Why did it have to be the other way around? What did mother ever do to deserve death? If anything, my father's the only one deserving of it."

–Words from Audrey's
personal journal

____

     SHE still heard the echoes of Fury's boots bouncing off the walls in the hallway. Exhaustion stung every muscle in her body. She breathed normally for the first time after Fury's departure, and her shoulders relaxed, that is, until she felt someone else's presence.

The guard picked up her plastic cup she flung through the bars, and without glancing her way, he tossed it into the trash bin and went back to his post outside the hall.

She sat down on her cot afterwards, and mulled over the details of her day. So many things had happened, and so many had gone wrong. Starting with her father's betrayal. Why on earth had she even agreed to still pull through with the mission, when she saw her father? Did she think she could continue to help Strucker, and weasel her way out?

Audrey and her father share no relationship of any kind. Her mother on the other hand, they shared a special bond, one Audrey loved dearly, and Evelyn probably was the only person she loved and cared for. She never really knew her brother, even her earliest memories of them as kids were slowly fading away each day her black heart grew colder, and more distant to the world.

Some days she thought of her older brother Zachary and wondered, even became frustrated, when the memory was too far gone to remember if they got along, or even had a special bond as children growing up. She never ventured out to see if he was alive to this day—heavens, she wouldn't know what to say to him if they reunited. But a few times she was tempted to go search for him, find out if he's married, had kids, a job, a normal life.

She knew her brother would have wanted to settle down someday, at least that's one of the things she remembered best about him. Audrey was the complete opposite. Always getting into trouble, reckless at times, and even once said she'd never want to settle down. She liked being free, and when you're committed to someone, that freedom was gone, chained down to that one person. Sometimes she would ask herself if she was more like her father, than her mother.

Her eyebrows crinkled together as her fingers curled into fists on the mattress.

I'm nothing like that monster, she thought.

She might have killed, murdered, and even slaughtered innocence, but she did it out of her own survival, not like her father who killed for pleasure and power.

As she indulged into that side of her mind about her father, and her mother's accident that appeared to be no mere accident, she suddenly heard the director's steps echo down the hall again. She brushed the sound off and simply thought nothing of it, and continued to think of her broken, strange family.

"It's alright agent, stand guard outside," Fury muttered. Audrey whipped her head in the man's direction. He stood outside her cell, a Stark Pad in hand, which he tapped away on its screen, before he shut it down and held the device loosely by his hip.

"Huh, two visits in one day Fury, I must be more popular than I thought," Audrey said, cockiness not missed in her tone.

With a frown, Fury played along. "Nope, sorry to burst your popularity bubble, but this is strictly another interrogation."