A TORCH TO LIGHT THE WAY

ZACHARY'S words heavily ran clear like a donging bell through her mind. Even as she sat, two o'clock in the morning, on the edge of the windowsill gazing absentmindedly outside her window.

Her eyes caught the odd flash of headlights, the sparkle of a twinkling star, a light behind blinds in an apartment building, and yet she wasn't really seeing any of the night activities that played on. Her tired and dazed eyes rather looked past all of those things as she thought about what her brother had shared.

Even the ticking of the clock above the kitchen sink became drowned out of her hearing to her deep, distracting thoughts.

She hardly knew whether to believe his words, or the deep insistent gnawing of her guilt-ridden conscious. Perhaps both, and perhaps it was her conscious that only fueled the truth about her brother's words more and more.

Again the vicious cycle of uncertainty hammered her. She sighed. "Guess I'm not getting any sleep tonight," she whispered with a groan, putting a voice to her thoughts.

____

The sun was setting far across the sky's border. The yellow-orange rays just grasping one final time to the tips of each building, when Tony and Audrey descended into the armory room. Next room over was storage.

"This place looks boring," Audrey plainly stated. Eyes focused on the room and all that was in the surrounding vicinity.

Tony stopped in his tracks, a confused frown settling atop his face while his eyebrows pulled together. Upon noticing what she called 'boring,' he rolled his eyes. "That's because it's a lab. The room we want is through this door." He pointed to a door a few paces away.

Her brows flew up to her forehead. "Oh."

Tony turned the knob and opening the door, Audrey glimpsed a staircase that led down, disappearing into the darkness. "Oh," she said once more, dark brows heaving up even greater. "If you wanted to lead me into the dragon's den, you could have at least gave me a heads up. It's what a gentlemen would do."

"I'll keep that in mind for next time," was all that he said before flicking a switch on the side of the wall, and one by one, neon lights winked alive, lighting up the end of the staircase and from what little bit Audrey could make out beyond, a tunnel.

"What?" she started, surprised and a little disappointed. "No torch to light our way? This is a dull venture."

"If you wanted a torch, you should have called Johnny Storm."

The English lowly chuckled in amusement, then after, followed like a sneaky shadow behind Iron Man down the stairs.

Their footsteps echoed off the cement walls, making the small tap, tap, tap sound louder than it ought to have been in such a small and narrow passageway. Soon Tony led her to another door at the end of the tunnel. They stood waiting for the door to scan his right eye, and when it had finished, a flash of green emanated from the top of the metal door, and a sharp beep sounded, indicating the door was unlocked to them.

Audrey emerged from behind Tony into the armory room, and when her eyes settled on the place, they had a mixture of awe and astonishment swirling in their depth. "Wow, you should have taken me down here ages ago."

Tony never looked at her, nor answered, but the side of his mouth twitched proudly as he gazed along the walls, searching for a special room. People ambled here and there. SHIELD scientists with clipboards checked to see the density and durability of each weapon that hung along one solid metal wall. A few SHIELD agents seemed to be cataloging each stolen and none-stolen weapons from on a table behind the scientists.