1.2

It took us almost an hour just to be able to leave the orphanage, between me packing and trying to comfort Alyssa.

"Hey, hey, babygirl." I moved her now unbraided hair out of her face. "You're okay, okay? You didn't have a nightmare last night. You don't need me anymore." I promised her.

"Y-yeah, but Cate." She stuttered through her tears. "What if I do need you?"

My heart broke into two and all I could do was hug her. I made eye contact with Brendon and he gave me a look of sympathy, I gave a sad smile back.

"I'll give Ms. Claire a phone number okay? And you just ask if you need to call me. I'll always answer and I'll be over here as fast as I can if you need me." She nodded. "Pinky promise you'll call me if you need me?" I asked, holding out my right pinky.

"Pinky promise."

I stood up, kissed her forehead, and gave her one last hug. Then followed Brendon and Sarah wordlessly to the car.

"I'm sorry about that." I apologized, after thinking about how long it had taken.

"It was sweet." Sarah smiled back at me from the front seat.

"So Cate." Brendon ignored what I had said. "We have two guest rooms, so you can just like pick which room you want. And then we can use the furniture in there to do whatever you want. Sarah's gonna run to the store and get you a couple of things."

"Thank you."

Brendon and Sarah switched places when we got to the house, Brendon walking in, and Sarah going to the drivers seat.

"I love you." Brendon called, waving as Sarah pulled away. He turned his attention towards me. "So you can either take the room where you were last night or there's another one. I would suggest taking the one you were in last night because there's a connected bathroom." I followed Brendon upstairs, and we dropped my bags in the hallway.

"I guess one I was in last night."

"Cool." We went into that room, I was now able to take in everything.

The furniture was all white, and the walls were painted a light gray. Pictures in white frames decorated the wall, Brendon and Sarah's wedding, and a couple things with Brendon's band, I'm assuming that's who those people were, at least. There were two night stands on either side of the Queen bed, each holding a gray lamp. Across from the bed, which was in the center of the room, there was a dresser, that had random trinkets from different places they had been. Then there was the wall with pictures, if you were looking from the doorway it was to the right of the bed, that had two doors, a good distance apart, I'm assuming a bathroom and closet. The final wall was a medium sized window, framed with white curtains, a white fuzzy loveseat in front of the window.

"Where do you want to put furniture? Also I'm supposed to call Sarah to see what stuff you want for this, so any colors or anything? You like yellow right?"

"Yeah. I guess if we can move that couch thing, and put the bed by that window-" I started but he cut me off.

"Can we make a list for Sarah first? Sorry I didn't mean to cut you off but I don't wanna forget to text her these things back." I laughed, and told him it was okay.

"Uh, I guess just, like, gray and yellow stuff?" It cake out as more of a question but Brendon nodded, typing on his phone.

"What if we got white sheets, then like a yellow quilt, and then random pillows and blankets."

"that sounds good." I replied, sitting on the love seat.

"Sarah will figure it out. I have a vision in my head." He laughed to himself. "Sarah asked clothes size."