WSD [26] - Promise

Chapter 26

Kate’s POV

“Class,” said our teacher. “Our field trip’s approaching. Sinong sasama?”

I frowned. Yada, yada, yada. Hindi ako papayagan nila mama sa field trip. Hay.

I glanced at Terence but she didn’t look back. I was hoping she’ll help me convince my parents to allow me join this trip, but she was busy listening to our teacher in front. What a life.

“Terence,” I finally called her after waiting for some minutes. She looked at me. “Help me convince my parents, please?”

She sighed. “If they won’t allow you, just don’t come.”

“What?” I was half shouting this time. “You’ll let them, like, forbid me to come? You won’t object, my dear best friend?”

“I’m just tired pleasing them. I do that every freakin’ time.”

I sighed. “Fine.”

I was hoping she’d help me, see.

But maybe she’s just really tired helping me out.

And no, I don’t think that’s just her reason. I have to find out.

After a few more subjects, recess finally came and so we all went to the cafeteria to eat. Pounder was silent as she blankly stares at her food so I’m having the urge to take her food and just eat it by myself. I looked at the other girls and saw them looking weirdly at Terence. So, I’m not the only one who notice her bizarre attitude today?

“What’s happening with her?” I asked Maknae in a low voice so Tence won’t hear me.

Micah shrugged. “I don’t know. But . . . maybe she’s thinking about CK.”

I creased my forehead. “Why would she be thinking about C—”

“Hey,” suddenly someone interrupted me. And that someone was our topic! “Babe.” He said while looking intently at Terence.

“What, babe?” I asked.

He looked at me with ‘didn’t you hear it’ expression painted on his face. “Yeah, why?” he asked like it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

“You called her babe?” I asked again.

“Uh-huh.”

Still unsure, “Really, babe?”

“What the hell is your problem?” he snapped.

“Woah, woah. Easy there, dude. Just makin’ sure,” I shrugged. “Why do you call her babe, anyway?”

“Didn’t she tell you?” he asked, flabbergasted.

I shook my head, “I wouldn’t be asking you if she already told me, would I?”

And at that brief moment, he pushed me out of my seat and settled himself there and draped his arms around Terence’s shoulder.

What the hell is happening?

“What—”

“Are you Pounder’s boyfriend?” asked Ivy.

“‘Cause you act like one, if you haven’t noticed,” added Fatima.

CK was about to speak but was cut by Necrisel, “Do you love her?”

“Or you’re just tryin to play your stupid game with her?” Faye asked suspiciously.

“Well, don’t you dare.” Maknae threatened.

I nodded. “Yup, don’t you even dare. Or we’ll rip you alive.”

He raised both his arms, as if surrendering. “Chill, ya girls! One at a time, please.”

“So . . . just answer the most important question. Do you love her?” Necrisel repeated herself.

I looked at pounder. She’s still staring blankly at her food, totally not caring about her surroundings. I turned to look at CK and saw him eyeing pounder earnestly. With the sight of them like that, I smiled.

“Of course, I do,” he answered confidently.

Terence’s POV

“Of course, I do.”

I was taken aback with what he said.

He admitted he loves me even though this is just a stupid game? Is he some kind of an idiot? ‘Cause if he’s not, I don’t know what he is then.

My girls don’t know anything about this, though, except Micah. She kept on asking me yesterday as to why CK called me ‘babe’, and simply answered, ‘He’s my boyfriend.’ Gosh, the thought of it makes me uneasy.

I pulled CK away from the cafeteria, away from my girls and away from all the students watching us. We went to the garden and I quickly removed my grip off of his arm.

“You want some alone time, babe?” he playfully asked.

I removed my right shoe and threw it straight to his face.

“Ouch!” he cried. “What was that for?”

“That was for you being jerk,” I answered a matter of factly.

“I am not,” he defended.

“Oh, yes, you are.”

“Nope.”

“Yup.”

“Tss.” He sat beside me on the grass and glanced at the sky.

He’s really attractive, huh? Just exclude the fact that he’s so full of himself. Maybe I could get to like him.

“Staring is rude you know,” he said, still looking at the bright sky above us. “Too handsome?” then he humorlessly laughed.

“You are so conceited, Christian Kyle.”

He laughed, this time, real. “Just stating the fact, Terence Marinelle.”

“Oh, yeah?” I challenged.

He looked at me, “Why? Am I not handsome?”

I don’t know why I choked despite the fact that I’m not eating anything. I faked a cough and avoided his stare.

“Let’s make a deal,” he said, “No one should know that this relationship—”

“More like relationshit to me,” I interrupted.

He glared at me and continued talking, “As I was saying, before I was impolitely interrupted, no one should know that this thing we have is just fake, not even our friends.”

I raised a brow, “And why not?”

He shrugged, “To add thrill, perhaps?”

I didn’t respond. I was analyzing if I could get benefits from his deal but to no avail. His idea was just . . . pointless.

“I know what you’re thinking,” he suddenly said. “You think this is nonsense—”

“Yup, I do,” I once again interrupted him.

He glared at me again, “This isn’t nonsense, for your information. This might help us,” he stopped in the middle of his sentence.

“Help us what?”

“Help us . . .” he was thinking of a word to say, but no word came out.

“Ugh, stupid.” I stood and fixed my already messed up skirt before walking away.

“Hey!” he called out. “Just promise me you’ll be following our deal!”

I heaved a deep, deep sigh. “Fine.”