CHAPTER 34

Waya landed hard on a rock. He probably would have damaged a rib or two had he not cushioned the fall with the shield of Belus.
The mountain was a maze designed to disconcert anyone who came seeking the ambrosia; one of the rare substances that could make a mortal a god.
But Waya had come prepared for Athena, had personally handed him a map of the mountain.
Reaching into his loin cloth, Waya produced the map and with it, he navigated his way through the mountain.
"You're not coming " Orion uttered for the umpteenth time.
He concentrated on strapping in his armour, a deliberate attempt, so he could ignore his brother.
But, a relentless Atlas wouldn't yield.
"Let me join you" he implored.
"No, am attacking the moon, a war zone is no place for you". Orion thundered.
"Please, we both know am a better fighter than even your best warrior". Atlas begged.
"Excellent fighting skills are useless if you don't use them. You are way too soft hearted".
"I vow to fight, please let me go with you"
Orion gave a huge sigh. He knew if he refused his baby Brother's request, he wouldn't talk to him for years.
"Fine, you may come" he concluded.
Atlas was in glee as he crushed Orion in a tight hug.
As Waya progressed deep into the mazed volcano, he found remains of incinerated bodies..
He no longer needed the map, all he had to do was follow the trail of dead bodies.
It wasn't long before he spotted the ambrosia contained in a gold bowl.
Instinctively, he unhinged the shield of Belus from his back for where-ever the ambrosia was seen, the dragon wasn't far off.
He weilded the shield of Belus with unnerving will.
Just then, he felt spontaneous change in temperature, instantly, he looked to his left.
Charging towards him was a sea of fire, instinctively, he cast the shield of Belus between himself and the fire.
The shield protected him from the deadly effects of the fire but the sheer force of the fire hurled him into the air and bashed into a rock.
Waya shook of the effects of the collision and gathered himself. It was then he saw it, the source of the fire, the protector of the ambrosia of the gods, the dragon.
Dragons were creatures of extremely rare species.
They were favourite and personal pets of Hephaestus; god of fire. They were creatures of immerse power and near invulnerability.
But, some where more powerful than others and the most powerful and most ancient dragon was assigned to protect the ambrosia.
It was this creature Waya looked up to.
The dragon towered Waya in such a perspective that Waya seemed no more than a little ant compared to the dragon.
The dragon breathed in, Waya knew what was coming, instantly he leaped to his feet and took cover behind a rock before the dragon unleased a storm of fire.
Waya couldn't think, he had no idea what strategy he  could implement in defeating an ancient dragon.
Before he could complete his thoughts, the dragon bombarded it's tail against the rock, smashing it in pieces.
Waya was in shock. He wasn't quick enough for the dragon lashed his tail square are Waya who to his credit defended with his shield. 
It felt as if the entire volcano had been dropped on him, the sheer weight of the dragons tail forced Waya to the ground.
He knew but for the shield of Belus, he'd be a dead man.
The dragon breathed in, without wasting a second, Waya ran.