Chapter 18

I put on my enormous amount of makeup quicker than usual, even though I had to put on more than usual. My thoughts were going wild, and whenever my mind was on overdrive I usually did things much faster than usual because of the feeling of anxiety that usually came with an overflow of thoughts bouncing around in my head.

            I had to admit, I was anxious about tonight. It wasn't because of the crowning of the princess of the dance or anything like that. It was because I was almost dreading this mission to end. Ever since the beginning I knew that when the mission ended that it wouldn't be pretty. Even after Jackson had alerted me that I might be kidnapped just because I was one of the top spies, I still didn't want this to end.

            But that had got me thinking about that day that Jackson had told me about the other top agents suddenly falling off the grid. Like they all were being taken out one by one. I couldn't think of any other reason that someone was trying to take out the top spies besides the fact that we either found out something about them that they don't want us to know, or we are a threat to them. Both are plausible, but if either was true, why did they only decide to take us out on our missions.

            I looked in the mirror as I put the finishing touches on my hair. Me and Julia had decided to go with the same style of hair. We curled it and pinned some of it back from our face. We even got matching masks. Our dresses were also the same style, but different colors. The only difference between us was the fact that Julia was so much shorter than I was. Without the height difference we would almost look like twins.

            Once I finished with my look, I took out my earrings from my purse. The small diamond earrings that Jake had given me were put on my ears and I couldn't help but think that I didn't want to need these tonight.

            "Ashley, are you ready yet?" Julia asks from the door.

            "Yes." I answer. I take my purse with my gadgets before I leave, I might need it.

            We walk down the stairs and out the building with the rest of the student body. The fall dance was being held in a building that the school had just for the purpose of things like this. It was big and spacious, with a stage at the back for when they had special announcements like the winners of the contest.

            We walk up to the line to get in the door an we're joined by Max and Andrew. Both were holding flowers from the little shop in town. They were wearing lone ranger styled masks, the ones that basically only cover the skin around your eyes.

            "Hey ladies." Max greeted us.

            "Hello." Me and Julia respond.

            "We've come bearing gifts." They say as they hand us their flowers. Max had gotten me lilies. Julia was given roses by Andrew. In case you were wondering, yes, Andrew and Julia were going out now, but no one really knew. I guess everyone will find out about it today anyway.

            I laugh along with them and accept my flowers.

            "Why thank you kind sir." I reply while trying not to laugh too hard.

            "You're so welcome my lady." Max played along. It was then that we both broke down and started laughing. Julia and Andrew gave us looks that suggested that they thought we were psycho.

            "Why do we hang out with you?" Julia laughed.

            "Because we are just so lovable." Max says. We give them our best and biggest exaggerated smiles.