(21) "I'm sorry."

As the The night grew later, the hospital began sending visitors home. Only one person would be allowed to stay the night with Stu, and Murdoc begged Russel to let him. The drummer didn't need much convincing. He told the satanist to call him with any updates before walking out of the small room.

Murdoc scooted his chair closer to the hospital bed, laying his head on the edge. His long fingers gently wrapped around Stuart's, and a long sigh escaped his mouth. Tears brimmed the corner of his eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry Dents." The bassist couldn't help himself and soon tears were flowing from his eyes. The white sheet beneath his head grew wet, so he shut his eyes. "I'm sorry."

A gently thumb moved under Murdoc's eye, wiping away the salty tears that remained. Murdoc looked up to see the blunette's eyes just barely open. His voice was almost too quiet and slow to be heard. "It's...okay.."

The satanist held the boy's hand that was against his face, holding back another wave of tears. "No. It's not, Stu. This is all my fault. I didn't mean to do... all that. I was high from the drugs and drunk and I-"

2D stopped him my moving his hand lower on Murdoc's face until it was covering his lips. "Shhh...just...need..." He took a deep breath, exhausted.

"What do you need, Stu? Anything."

Stuart exhaled long and slow. "Time." He gently removed his hand from the man's face, giving a weak smile. "Go..home."

Murdoc's heard dropped, but he understood in a way. "I get it Stu, but I don't want to leave you here alone. I'll leave in the morning." 2D shook his head, squeezing the satanist's hand.

"Now...please.." Murdoc could see the pain I the boy's eyes as they closed. He knew that 2D would be ok at the hospital, maybe even better if he were gone. So he kissed his forehead and headed towards the door. He looked back once he was in the doorway, seeing Stuart was already drifting off to sleep. He painfully smiled and left.