chapter one

CHAPTER ONE. PROMISES.

"I didn't believe it when Carmelita told me. I swear to God, I saw her for the first time and my first thought was, 'There's no way on God's green Earth that this gorgeous baby is mine.' But she looked up at me and grabbed my finger, and it was like my entire world finally had a purpose. Ellie was about 3 - I had my mask on so she couldn't see me. It took me years to finally let her see what I really looked like. I guess it was dumb of me - Ellie had already gone through so much as a kid. Kidnapped with her mother, tested on. I didn't want to fuck everything up more than I already had. And trust me, I had.

"When they got kidnapped, I made it my number one priority to make sure they were fine. but I saw Carmelita - Ellie's birth mom - dead on the ground, and I thought: 'They're dead.' There's no way Ellie was still alive. She was just a baby. I didn't need to track her down, try to find her. I was wrong.

My buddy Emily Preston got a vision about Emily a little while later. Ellie was still alive, and she was living with the kidnapper's brother. She was in an abusive home, and I knew I had to get her out. Emily found out that Ellie was in Illinois of all God-forsaken places. Emily went to Ellie's house and found her playing in the backyard. She asked her all kinds of questions. Ellie was maybe 8 at the time - she didn't remember anything.

Joshua - the brother - came out and of course asked Emily to leave. Emily didn't have a warrant, so she had no choice but to leave. Joshua took Ellie and went inside, planning on leaving. But before he could, U.L.T.I.M.A.T.U.M. agents broke in.

They both escaped and went to Chicago. an U.L.T.I.M.A.T.U.M. agent found them and took Ellie from Joshua. While she was being taken, he had a heart attack. Right in front of Ellie. That's where I came in. I was disguised as an agent, and I saved Ellie from being taken again.

I remember the first thing Ellie asked me. She asked if I was her father. I didn't know what to answer.

I got attacked again, but this time I had help. A lot of fighting, blah, blah, threw Ellie out of a window, blah - "

"What?!" Peter asked, interrupting Wade for the first time.

"Well, I had someone catch her, dumbass! What, you think I'd just throw my daughter out of a window?" Wade asked.

Peter shrugged. "I dunno."

"Wow, thanks," Wade brushed it off. "Anyway. It was the Flag-Smasher who had threatened Ellie. I know, stupid name, but I was pissed. I beat him up bad, told him to never threaten Ellie again. I got more help from the guy who caught Ellie - and he got the police coroner to declare Ellie dead.

Ellie was sent to live with Emily Preston's family - I watched her from afar. A friend offered to have Ellie's mind altered or some shit so she could forget everything, but I refused. I wanted her to heal normally because I knew Emily would help.

So much shit happened after that. People would try to get to me by getting to Ellie. They'd attack her house, try to kill her, but it never worked. I was always there.

And then Ellie died. It was truly the worst day of my life. There was a pile of people - everywhere. I prayed to anyone that could hear me that Ellie wasn't in there with them. But I found her. I found her, dead, laying on top of so many bodies... I lost it. Logan offered to take her to the mansion to see if Hank could activate her X-gene. It took a long time, she was under for a long time. That's when we found out she has powers. I figured she would, we just never needed to figure out what they were.

She can regenerate, like me, just more. If she dies of old age, she'll just regenerate to about 14 years old again. I didn't want it for her, it'll be terrible. There's gonna be times where she just wants to die, but can't. I know from experience. I've tried to die so many times, but I always live.

But she also has healing properties. She hasn't done it before, but she can. It's why she never gets colds - whenever she's sick, it's always really bad and very rare. But whenever she heals someone, it takes power from her. She gets tired, and may even die. Actually - she could actually die and stay that way. That's why I don't want her to know. But I guess..." Wade trailed off, not finishing what he was going to say.

"I'm sorry I just put this all on you, Pete. I just wanted you to see how much Ellie means to me. I didn't want her to be involved in any of this - but now that she is, I need her to stay safe. I'm trusting you with my daughter, Pete. you have to promise me that you'll do anything in your power to keep her safe."

Peter nodded, taking everything in. "I promise."

_______

sorry it's so short i promise not all of them are like this

- x me