chapter seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN. 2.

"it's the green goblin." peter said quickly, rushing to the window and opening it.

"i thought he'd be in hiding for a little bit longer after what just happened," ellie asked while shaking her head, attempting to follow peter out.

peter turned back to ellie, his body hanging out of the window. "ellie - "

"peter! come on out! bring your little girlfriend with you!" the green goblin screeched from the top of the building. peter shook his head in confusion. how was norman here? didn't harry say he had died?

peter could remember pretty well the moment that harry explained that his father was dead. he remembered feeling his heart drop at those words.

so who was this?

"ellie, stay here." peter ordered, his voice harsh enough to almost scare ellie. with that, peter jumped out of the window and crawling up to the roof of the apartment complex. this time felt a little different than normal. peter would crawl to the top of the complex all of the time, when he was leaving ellie's room to go home, but this time felt different. it felt like the last time he would be doing this.

the brick wall felt rougher on his padded fingertips than normal. he felt like he was putting out more energy this time, as well, like he was lifting a monster truck up the side of a wall.

he just hoped eleanor would stay put like he said.

back in her room, ellie rolled her eyes and turned, opening the door to her room and exiting. she ran down the hallway and straight into the doors that led to the roof.

she quickly ran up the steps that led to the top of the building. her head peered over to see peter standing in front of the green goblin. but this wasn't the green goblin. not the original one, at least. this one was taller, not by much, but obviously taller. this one was also leaner and more athletic. this one was younger. their voice was only slightly higher, and ellie noticed that the person's tone was different, a little higher and less scratchy. this was not the original green goblin.

so who was this?

"i thought i said bring her, peter," the voice shrieked, taking ellie by surprise. even though the shriek wasn't as terrifying as the original goblin, this one was still scary. it seemed calmer. like there wasn't a time limit. this one had all the time in the world.

"you know i wouldn't do that," peter replied, not moving.

"why not?" the green goblin asked, still floating around on the board. "why not bring my father's killer out here with us?"

ellie gasped. killer? he was calling her a killer? ellie had never killed anyone in her entire life - right? peter wouldn't keep something like that from her. quentin wouldn't... her father wouldn't. xavier and hank wouldn't...would they?

eleanor could feel her heartbeat quicken, and she knew it was only a matter of time before peter got a lock on the noise it made. ellie quickly covered her mouth in a stupid attempt to slow her breathing, but it didn't work. there was just too much going on.