chapter seven

CHAPTER SEVEN. THE DATE.

ellie's day slowly but surely got better and better. she made an A on her English paper, she and Harry laughed all of her class at stupid jokes. later, after school had ended, she went to the mansion and tested some more, learning more about her powers.

she tested more on healing people at a quicker rate. she worked on healing without touching. she could now raise a hand towards hank's bloody arm and heal it. it was a slow process, but ellie was incredibly happy that she could do it at all. she had her doubts at the start, but now she couldn't be more confident in her powers.

hank was very surprised at the rate in which she was learning - it was almost as if she'd been doing it for years. he would tell her the general idea of what she was to do, and she'd work on it. after around four tries, it would just...happen.

ellie and her father left the mansion with smiles on their faces. wade's was mainly because of his pride for his daughter. he couldn't be happier for her - growing into her powers, and understanding them was the most important part of having them. it took him a while to learn the full capabilities of his powers. he had nobody to help him through it. now that it's ellie's turn, there was no way that he'd be anywhere else.

ellie, on the other hand, was extremely excited for her date night. she'd gotten a text during her testing from peter.

pete: did NOT forget
about our date!
can't wait! LUV YA

once ellie read the the text, heart almost stopped. the couple had never said 'i love you' to each other before. but this one was more of a platonic, friendly 'i love ya', not a formal 'i love you.'

did peter love ellie? was ellie, yet again, reading too far into things? obviously peter didn't think too much of it, so why should she? 

ellie knew she loved peter. she'd known for a while now, she just didn't want to freak peter out. it's been 7 months now, she just didn't want to go too quickly.

jesus, why are things so stupidly complicated?

ellie sighed and locked her phone.

back in the car, ellie talked to wade the entire way back to the house about how excited she was. normally, wade would eventually tell ellie to shut up, but after the way she looked at him last night...with nothing but sadness and desperation in her eyes...he couldn't. so he decided to just pretend as if he were listening, letting out a little "uh-huh" or "yeah" to make it seem like he was paying attention.

luckily, before the hour long ride had ended, wade had gotten ellie to talk about something else.

once wade finally pulled up to the apartment, the two walked up the stairs and into the house. ellie looked up at the stars in the night sky, for once being able to see them. a lot of the time, clouds got in the way. but not tonight. tonight was as clear as possible. 

ellie bounded up the steps two at a time. she had to get ready as soon as possible, because the sooner she got ready, the sooner peter would come over.

wade walked up the stairs slower, laughing as he noticed ellie was already at the top, waiting for him to unlock the door. he took out the keys to the small apartment and unlocked the door as the two continued to talk about other things.