chapter sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN. PEACHY.

ellie got up slowly but surely. it took her a little while to actually wake up and not fall back asleep. she was just so comfortable in the school's bed she shared with peter that she didn't even remember falling asleep before. she just woke up with peter by her side, as usual, rubbing her back and helping her slowly wake up.

"how long was i asleep?" eleanor asked, letting out a little yawn.

"a good amount of time," peter replied, tapping away on his phone. "i lost count after 10 hours."

a knock was heard at the door. peter, still not looking up from his phone, quickly shouted: "come in!"

quentin opened the door slowly and took a step in. "hey, i know you just woke up, but the professor needs to see you."

ellie sat up, nodding. "let me get ready and i'll be right down."

quentin nodded at this, glancing at peter, who had just looked up from his phone. quentin gave peter a look, almost asking 'how did she sleep?' peter simply nodded as eleanor got up from the bed and began stretching a little bit more. quentin nodded back and left the room with a small, "i'll talk to you guys later." He closed the door gently.

"are you feeling okay?" peter questioned. eleanor nodded with a small smile. 

"peachy," she turned around and gave peter a quick kiss on the lips. "be back soon."

__________ 

"eleanor." professor xavier says, using his wheelchair to get out from behind the desk in his office. ellie noticed how his office resembled the man's personality. neat, very straight to the point, and precise. everything seemed to have a specific spot where it was. picture frames lined the shelves, all sorts of them. pictures of before he donned the wheelchair, standing beside some kids. he looked happy. 

"take a seat." xavier ordered. ellie obeyed quickly, pulling out a chair and sitting.

before the man could begin, ellie let out a breath that she didn't realize she was holding. tears suddenly began to flood her eyes as she dropped her head. none fell down her cheeks. "what's wrong with me?" she asked, her voice quivering. she didn't even want to look at the man. she was too embarrassed. a teenage girl who didn't know how to control her powers was...pretty rare. not unheard of, but rare. mutants normally learn pretty quickly.

charles xavier's eyes widened the least bit — not enough for ellie to notice, especially since she'd still not made eye contact with him, too embarrassed to even look at him. xavier slowly rolled his wheelchair towards the girl. he put out a hand and gently lifted her head by raising her chin. ellie's wet eyes slowly crawled up to meet his. ellie noticed that his face had a ghost of a smile. 

"absolutely nothing." xavier replies with a strong voice. it was so stable, eleanor wanted to believe him right there.  charles he knew the girl needed a little bit of stability right now, no matter where it came from. anything to help her.

and it did seem to help. ellie looked like she was beginning to calm down. maybe that was all she needed; someone to tell her that she's not crazy or weird. someone to be absolutely positive in their words as well. and that someone was the professor.