chapter eight

CHAPTER EIGHT. THE GIRL WITH THE GIFT.

eleanor knew who it was: the green goblin. he was back. peter refused to tell her anything she wanted to know about him, so she didn't know what to do. obviously, he was crazy and she should hide — but where would she hide? she couldn't get out of the car, it would blow her cover completely. 

the cars weren't moving. people started getting out of their cars and running in the opposite direction. ellie watched in fear as people crowded around her car, pushing each other over to get ahead and escape the villain.

right now, her only advantage was that the green goblin didn't know what her car looked like.

ellie quickly put her car in park, unbuckled her
seat-belt and threw it behind her. she whipped out her phone, dialing the first number she could. once it began to ring, the basically slapped the phone to her face, praying he'd answer.

dad.

"hey, ellie-belly, why aren't you in class?" wade answered immediately. it was a little weird that ellie was calling so early in the morning, but he kept his voice steady.

ellie jumped into the back of her car and hid in the floor behind the passenger seat. her back was pressed against the door. she gripped the phone and pressed it to her ear. 

"dad, you have to help me," ellie almost shouted, but she kept her voice low, just in case this mystery man had good hearing or something. her voice was in a whisper, but her voice was shaky, already alerting wade. he stood from the kitchen bar stool and went straight to his room, changing his clothes.

"where are you?" he asked, trying to keep ellie on the line.

"um..." ellie slowly peered through the window, looking around for a street sign. but of course she couldn't. they were literally everywhere - why couldn't she find one?

"eleanor camacho, come out...i know you're here..." the man screeched. ellie quickly pushed herself back down in between the back and front seats. the green goblin's voice sounded like nails on a chalkboard, and it didn't help ellie feel any better. she was stuck in a small space, not knowing where she was, with a very dangerous man yelling for her. ellie wanted to throw up.

"i - i don't know, i'm hiding in my car. the traffic is backed up." ellie cried. "everyone else left their cars, i'm the only one left. i didn't want him to see me."

"good job, ellie, good thinking," wade praised his daughter as he busted out of his apartment and jumped down the stairs. "is it your usual route to school?"

"yes," ellie replied, trying to make herself smaller so the green goblin couldn't see her. "dad, i'm really scared. he wants me, and he isn't gonna stop - "

"oh, he's gonna stop, ellie," wade warned. "he's gonna stop. don't worry, okay? stay on the phone with me - i'm almost there."

ellie quickly peeked around the seat again to see that the green goblin was getting closer. she quickly leaned back into hiding. "he's getting closer."

her phone beeped three times.

he'd hung up.