chapter eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN. ROOM 506.

ellie noticed her friend right away, walking down the hallway with his head down. this wasn't like him at all - he was always proud of every girl at midtown high being obsessed with him, but now...he seemed off. girls waved at him with flirtatious smiles and even let out a little "hey harry", but harry only put his head lower and continued walking down the beige hallway.

"hey, uh...you okay?" ellie asked, putting a soft hand on harry's shoulder. harry jumped at the hand, turning quickly. his face dropped when he noticed it was only eleanor. he let out a sigh and let his shoulders fall down again.

"oh...hey, ellie." harry breathed out.

"is something wrong?" ellie asked, grabbing harry and pulling him closer to the lockers. they both faced each other, but harry wouldn't even look ellie in the eyes. when he didn't answer, ellie tried again. "harry...are you alright? do you need to go home?"

harry didn't want to tell ellie the truth yet — he couldn't. he couldn't tell her now. he had to talk to peter first, at least.

"my dad's in the hospital," harry said quietly, pretending that was the only problem.

"oh, no," ellie gasped. her hands covered her mouth. "why? is he gonna be okay? what happened?"

"he's really sick," harry said slowly, nodding, putting on a fake smile.

"i'm so sorry," ellie looked down. "how...how about you go home? go home and rest, okay? you look like you got no sleep last night."

harry nodded and turned, walking away slowly. ellie watched as he walked away with a frown. she shook her head and turned, ready to meet peter.

________

peter's face dropped immediately. the rest of the group didn't really know how to feel, but they were also obviously sad as well.

"what does he have?" mj asked.

ellie shrugged. "i didn't really want to push him."

"yeah, that was a good idea," peter placed a hand on her thigh. "i'm glad you sent him home, el. his dad's not the best guy, but he's still his dad."

"god, i feel so awful for him." ned frowned. "i don't know how to help."

"i'll talk to him after school. it's the least i can do." peter volunteered.

"i'll come," ellie said.

"don't you have choir practice after school?" quentin asked. "the concert's really soon isn't it?"

ellie groaned, throwing her head back. "yeah, it's tomorrow night."

"it's fine. besides, i don't want him to feel crowded. go to practice, i'll let you know how he is as soon as i leave." peter suggested.

ellie nodded. she had to go to this rehearsal - this was the biggest concert of the year, she couldn't miss it. and she needed the practice.

"let us all know, too," michelle requested, standing. "i need to get to psych. i'll meet you guys later."

everyone said goodbye and the group slowly started dismantling - everyone going to their classes.