[4] Tape 1, Side B, Scarlet Does It Once Again

Tape 1, Side B

"Welcome to your tape, Scarlet Burn"

You knew I was vulnerable. And you always hated me, because you liked Riptide for his good looks and was always jealous of me. At least I think.

You knew many things; who was matched to who, who had ruined their lives, who was popular and who was not....

What you didn't know, however, was that I always wished to be like you. Your perfect red hair and your sparkling eyes. You were always surrounded by friends and when you cheered, everyone watched, amazed.

Bonus: you had a boyfriend. Not just a boyfriend, though. An extremely hot one named Leo.

Maybe I was crazy. But I was determined to be friends with you so I maybe, just maybe, could be popular as you in my sophomore year. People didn't call you Queen Scarlet for no reason.

I created an image in my head— that you were the friendly, pretty, kind and popular girl that I wanted you to be. The image you had carved for yourself. The image everyone said you were.

The image you were not.

And when Riptide left me, I was determined— although I was naïve and stupid— very determined to hurt him back.

And you were the right person to help me.

But now that I look back, I can see that you saw me hurt, and you wanted to increase my pain. You took pleasure in my suffering. You laughed at my struggles.

That was the person you were.

I wasn't in my right mind, I don't doubt that. I left my friends to ask you if I can sit at your table. I wanted so desperately to be friends with you.

I could hear part of your conversation —

"Sophia is so annoying. The cheerleading coach let her fly when it was my turn, let's bully her."

"Isn't he hot? I want to date him."

"I broke up with my boyfriend. I hate him now, he's so gross. And I think he cheated on me, but I don't care because he's not even cute anymore."

"I think I like him. I'll work on him next week. I like his brother better, though."

And when you and your friends stopped the conversation to stare at me, I should have realized that it was crazy. Stupid. Impossible.

But that was the whole point, after all: I didn't.

"Can I join you guys?" I had the nerve to ask. Dear, dear Scarlet, the only thing I could see was your power. Your friends. Your beauty.

You were sitting with your boyfriend who was a junior, an year older than you. I wanted that. I wanted to be so attractive that guys from older grades would like me.

I admired you so, so much.

I should have realized you weren't the person you were said to be. I should have realized it when I saw the lust for pain in your beautiful, sparkling eyes.

After a moment of silence, one of your friends sneered at me. "Go away, freak."

I was about to run when you gave me a blinding smile. "Hey, hon! Sure, you can sit with us." You winked at your friends and they giggled. You looked at me again, your eyes wide. They had a hungry look on them, but I was so excited and relived that I didn't notice.