[3] There Is A Different Side

"Riptide, I want to talk to you about something," he snarled. He pushed him up to the wall and gave him an angry sneer.

Riptide narrowed his blue eyes. "You started the tapes."

Deathbringer gave him a small smile, although he didn't mean it. No, not at all. "I did."

Riptide sighed in exasperation, although his eyes sparkled with guilt and fear. He leaned against the wall, closing his eyes.

"I guess you want me to explain?" He guessed, his hands fidgeting.

"Your guess is right."

He stared at the ground, his black hair falling swiftly in his eyes and his blue eyes clear as the sea. "I don't have much time, you know."

Deathbringer curled his lip. He was willing to force him in necessary. "Oh, you need to meet up with your girlfriend, eh?" He sneered. Riptide grimaced. "I thought you were a honest guy, and now- look at what you did to her!"

Riptide threw his hands up into the empty air. "She lies. She's nothing but a little small town girl that craves attention. This is a waste of my time." He snarled back. "Get out of my way, Black."

"You have enough time," he hissed.

Riptide sighed, pushing his hands into his pockets. In the school, he was a legend. Deathbringer didn't care, though. "Not a choice, huh?"

He shook his head. "No."

Riptide have up, shrugging. "In the beginning, I was popular. Really, really popular. I was about to get accepted in the jocks' group," Riptide started bitterly. He kicked at a empty soda can, grimacing like the past was a bitter memory to him. "And, if you haven't realized, Glory isn't exactly the most popular girl in the school. I wanted to break up with her, and I wanted to do it clean so she won't bother me anymore. And I needed to find someone else that could help my reputation."

Deathbringer felt tremendously angry, but he squished it down. "So you cheated?" He said calmly.

"Tsunami wasn't part of the plan, but I fell in love with her at the party, okay? I had a crush on her since I was really little," Riptide continued, not meeting his eyes. He bit his lip anxiously. "And everyone liked Tsunami better than Glory. It was a party-" his voice rose in panic as he wove the webs in his story. "-I was drunk, so was she..."

Deathbringer frowned. "Still-"

"That's why she can't remember what happened in the party and she always tells Glory that she wasn't there," Riptide said, looking up and eyeing their surroundings suspiciously. "I didn't mean to cheat. But I wasn't on my right mind and I liked Tsunami. I would never do that to Glory in my right mind."

He inhaled and exhaled. "I really liked her. Glory, I mean. She looked for the truth of things." Riptide's eyes narrowed. "She was...different. But I wanted her to be happy. She deserved to be happy. We just weren't meant to be...together."

Deathbringer's insides twisted with jealousy. Even the legend of the whole high school was admitting he liked Glory. Deathbringer was no match to Riptide. Not even a tiny bit. He felt himself soften a little at the desperate sound of Riptide's voice and he released him. "Why didn't you explain it to her?" He whispered.

Riptide staggered like he was injured. He shook his head, gasping for air like each breath he took could be his last. "I....I was afraid. I wanted to get in the jocks' group, and if I was talking to her I would ruin the whole thing....and I didn't even remember what happened at the party until I listened to the tape."

Deathbringer walked away from him like a disease he didn't want to touch. Riptide eyes him with wide eyes, by didn't try to go. At least he faced his consequences.

Then he remembered: he was in the tapes. He was just as bad as Riptide himself.

There are thirteen reasons why I died.

And you're one of them.

"Then?" He said sharply, struggling to get his mind off the thought. "Then what?"

"She was suddenly avoiding me, so I didn't ask her what was wrong. I went out with Tsunami." He frowned. "I didn't think... J didn't think she take it that badly. I didn't think she would think it like that." He sighed. "Besides, she was the one that broke up with me. She left me a note in my locker."

Deathbringer didn't ask what happened next. Everyone knew.

"Then Glory killed herself a few months later. I listened to the tapes and realized what I did. The jocks asked me if I wanted to be in their group," he snarled, his usually kind face contorted into disgust and guilt and anger. He seemed broken.

He broke a girl named Glory, and she broke him.

"Then, I refused. Happy? Can I please go now?"

"...You can," he heard himself say slowly.

Riptide swing his backpack over his shoulder and started to walk away then looked back. He had a grown in his face. An expression filled with concern. He looked...

.....sorry for him. "Deathbringer, what tape are you on?"

Deathbringer kept his straight face. "I just finished yours. Why?"

Riptide looked around. "Don't go around asking for the other side of the story and demanding to know why they did it, Deathbringer. Some of them...won't like it."

He felt his heart drop.

"If they find out that you started the tapes, the word will go around like crazy. And it will be over for all of us."

"Why?"

Riptide shook his head but didn't answer his question. He felt the answer in the air, though. It was written across Riptide's face: you don't want to know. "Just saying. This is a bad idea, Deathbringer. Listen to the tapes quickly and pass them to the next person. The more quickly you listen to them, the better."

Riptide's words actually sort of scared him, but he kept a calm face, shrugging. Then Riptide ran, maybe because he didn't want to be spotted with Deathbringer or because he didn't want to be late to his first period.

Deathbringer tried to clear his mind and replayed the conversation with him and Riptide. He wanted to ignore Riptide's warning.

For now.

There was a different side to the story. Like Riptide. If Glory had asked what was going on, or Riptide had explained, none of this might have happened.

But it did.

Deathbringer sat down disappointedly. He dug into his backpack and took out the cassette tape player, sighing. He eyed it, pressing his lips together. Who knew such a small thing would cause such a trouble? He threw his backpack somewhere and leaned on the brick wall, resting his tortured mind.

He was going to skip school today.

He put the different side of the tape, closed the lid and put his headphones on, closing his eyes.

Sometimes there was a different side of Glory's story.

But sometimes, he knew, that there was not.

The second tape was an example.

~

Moving on from you, Riptide, was harder than anything I had experienced.

But I tried not to be vulnerable.

But you know what? I was anyway.

Welcome to your tape, Scarlet Burn...

~

(This chapter was like, kinda short, sorry guys! Also this is super sloppy. The revenge wasn't exactly expected, but get ready for Scarlet, one of our biggest and ugliest villains in the world of Wings of Fire! You will realize that she is as horrible when she has a pretty face and a cheerleader outfit....)