[9] Death

Tape 3, Side B

Deathbringer felt pain.

He felt pain, and he didn't like it.

What was this? This ache in his heart, the sudden emptiness of losing a loved one. Being unable to talk or feel her anymore. No more soft, gentle talks, no more motherly looks and no more fake relationships.

Mother.

It was like a part of him was dead.

Stabbed and jacked into little pieces. Thousand paper cuts that he wasn't able to protect himself from.

He found out that even paper cuts hurt.

The pain didn't matter, not really. Even the ache could be contained and carefully controlled.

But not this-not the truth.

Truth-the horrible, cruel truth.

The fact his mother, Quickstrike, was dead-dead- that was truth.

He didn't know what to do.

So he went home.

There were still old cigarettes sticks from Morrowseer's stay, and they hardly had anything in the house. Endless boxes. Boxes and boxes and boxes.

He was surprised to find himself disappointed.

What did he expect, though? His mother to greet him at the door? Reminding him not to throw his backpack on the floor? Offering him a small plate of cookies?

His mother was dead.

Dead, and gone. Lifeless. Empty.

This wasn't his home anymore. A few days ago he had moved out, got himself a very small room in an apartment. He apparently didn't need a job until he was an adult, since relatives sent him money every month. He also had some money stored in his bank account, thanks to Quickstrike's will. It wasn't much, but it was enough.

Greatness Night, his old friend from elementary school, had met him in Walmart by accident, and they sat down in Wendy's to talk.

Greatness, who used to have a small, thin frame and pale face, had grown up to a totally different person. She had flowing black hair and sharp, black eyes. She was greatness-- tall and beautiful, with power and authority.

It was a little nice for Deathbringer to meet her again. It made him feel a little better, about his life and about everything.

But after their small meetings, when he had time (and no homework) he listened to the tapes.

The tapes kept him sane.

Each tape was a reason for him to stay alive.

All thirteen reasons.

He would make sure that Glory's life would count.

And he did that by pushing Play.

~

I always found the moon beautiful.

So lonely, so cold, so powerful and bursting with beauty,

You were all of these things.

Welcome to your tape, Moonwatcher Foldger.

I'm sorry. I know you can't listen to your tape.

You're dead.

~

It all started when you moved to the school.