Extra Chapters 2

Your eyes are like the midnight, black without trace
I love your smile, love the green lace
Oh, how much I wish I could tell you how I feel
But deep down, I am afraid I can never heal

Glory Bright, despite all her good records and whatnot, never listened in PE classes.

She was usually doing three things: writing down poems for Deathbringer, gazing at Deathbringer, and thinking about Deathbringer.

But, this was a special day. And a very frightening one. They were taking swim lessons. She wrapped her arms around herself, shivering. Tsunami Painter, her best friend was hollering with excitement. She loved swimming. And she was extremely good at it.

The teacher, Mr. Dune, was yelling at everyone the rules. They were strictly not allowed to pee in the pool. Some people snickered.

"Now, who takes swim lessons?"

Time to look down and pretend she didn't exist. Ugh. Probably everyone around town took them, since swimming was a popular sport in the town Pyrrhia.

While she, unfortunately, was afraid of water.

Water. Water brought horrible memories. Morrowseer gripping her neck. Pushing her entire face into the water. Gasping for air. Getting water instead. Fainting. Her head exploding, begging for oxygen.

One more minute and she would have been dead. Perhaps that would have been better. But she woke up in her room, shivering and cold and with a extremely pained nose.

So, it summed up pretty well: she never went near pools of water. Inside water, though? No.

But it didn't really leave her a choice.

"Bright! Come here!" Mr. Dune hollered, clearly irritated. "Painter, you too! You're gonna race."

People snickered. She felt her entire face getting warm. Obviously Tsunami was going to win. She took lessons, and, besides, she was made for water. She would probably be training for the Olympics when she was older.

"Quick! We don't have all day!" He yelled. "Students those days," he muttered darkly under his breath.

Glory nervously got in position. She felt like a bird in water— she didn't belong.

"Bright! Where the heck are your goggles, man?" Mr. Dune said, squinting. When she didn't reply, he just tossed her one with a fierce glare.

More mocking giggles from the cheerleaders. They weren't so bad, in Glory's opinion. They were just inhumane girls who made other people's lives miserable. Probably devils in disguise.

Glory blushed and struggled to put the goggles in place. They were way too tight.

"Ready, set, GO!"

Tsunami dived in with a look of determination on her face. Glory, however, just sort of jumped in and then—

Blue?

Water. She couldn't see the surface, and she didn't know how to get up there. Everything was just... water. It was like she turned stupid in a matter of seconds. She couldn't hear anything except a sort of calm ripple of the water.

But the main thing was, she couldn't breathe.

She couldn't breathe—

She screamed, but water went down her throat. She slowly sank. She didn't know how get up again. She couldn't breathe—

Moments passed. Her head was aching from the lack of oxygen, yet she was busy panicking. She was surrounded by water.

Then a great, but sound, and somebody dived in.

Flash of black, and he gripped her wrist and yanked her up. She took deep breaths as they reached the surface. Her throat burned.

It was him... Deathbringer Black.

"What the hell were you doing?" He yelled at her in the middle of the water. She could see Tsunami with the other kids, her eyebrows together in concern and worry. She had finished her lap already.

"Get me out of here," she begged. It was almost like water was gripping her entire body, refusing to let go. Taunting her. Killing her.

She could almost hear Morrowseer's laugh.

Fear.

He glared at her, his eyes lit with anger. "C'mon. Kick your legs."

She gripped his arm, her breath tagged and fast. "Don't let go."

He turned, and, as Mr. Dune bent down to inspect them with a pair of worried eyes, he nodded and said, "Never."

And he didn't.

But a couple months later, he broke his promise. He let go, and she, Glory Bright, took her life.