11.11

"Hey lover, This more than a crush..."

 Bedford, NY 1994

In the studio, working on a remix when he came in with a contract talking about this new supposed Christmas album that I wasn't still sure if I wanted to drop, messing around with the buttons on the board as he spoke, while zoning out. 

sitting in the chair getting irritated, mentally I wasn't ready for the more promotional tour but it was going to happen regardless. 

sitting back annoyed, I grabbed my jacket and walked out I also had an extra pair of keys on me just in case he hid mine.  walking out toward the garage as the gate opened I hoped in my jeep and slowly drove out as I turned the corner I was full speed toward the city, this wouldn't be the last time, I hadn't had any contact with my family since the wedding and My cousins on my father side were the only one I was closet too growing up. 

Bronx, NY 1994

Traveling to the south Bronx to see my cousins on my father's side was very rare for me to do, and the only cousin who genuinely looked out for me as a kid was Cece, she was my uncle's David daughter. We were pretty close growing up for the most part, but as we got older not so much, due to me moving so many times. Walking knocking on the doorCece's older sister Karen opened the door.

"Oh well, look who we have here the celebrity!"  as she walked to the door big as a house with her big 8-month pregnant belly. 

"Well, hello to you do too," I said giving her a hug while walking and taking in that familiar old scent of the house. 

"Cece will be down in a second". Karen stated and went to the kitchen grabbing me a bottle of water as she yelled upstairs 

"Mimi Is here!" she yelled.

"Wassup superstar!" she said Cece said practically running into my arms and giving me a huge hug.

"You're always working! you don't even come to the Cookouts no more!" Cece said with a pouted look. 

I smiled and said,"  I know! I miss going to aunt Sherlin's!  I'll say I can make it this year though, or at least try to."  looking down at my beeper, Tommy was going insane. 

"Y'all I have to run but  I'll try and catch up with ya."

"Figures" Karen stated dryly, rolling her eyes. 

"It's not like that! I have to go to the studio!" I confessed.

"Have fun at your session!" Cece said. and with that, I left. and went to the studio to lay down backing vocals for the always be my baby remix.

****

Back at the house.

"Hey JD!" I said excitedly.

"Hey" he started playing with the mixer, "did you finish the lyrics?"

"Yeah....yeah, Play the trackback again," I asked  Nervously pulling my jacket over my arm. 

"What's happened to your arm?" He pointed out.

Nervously turning the other way in the chair "It's nothing I fell outside. while chasing princess."

"Oh Okay.. well Brat and the girls are on their way."

A few minutes Brat and Xscape came through.

"Hey, Brat!" I said giving her a hug. 

"Hey, girls!" hugging them and leading them to the living room. 

"Hello," they said shyly. 

"Damn your place is nice!" Tiny stated. 

"Thank you!" I said, "I'm always amazed myself when I really think about it". 

"Come on ya'll let's get this track done" JD yelled as Xscape began laying down some verses and background vocals to the song, Da Brat pulled me into the soundbox to talk. 

"How've you been!!  And you missed daddy's party what happened?" she asked. 

"I couldn't go you know he doesn't let me go anywhere or do anything really." 

"Let you! Oh Hell no" Brat commented.

"Brat let's not make this a big deal in front of the ladies please!" I begged her.

"Fuck that!" she said taking my hand, next thing you know we were on the highway going into the city. 

"He's going to kill me, sinking into the seat," I stated.

"He already doesn't want me hanging out or working with you guys as it is! B please turn around! Please!" I begged. 

As She saw I was on the verge of tears so she huffed in a deep sigh and turned back around, quickly shaking her head as she noticed my bruised arm she said "that too, huh!"  I slowly pulled my jacket up. while pulling back into the driveway. 

Back in the studio... 

Nervously sitting between da brat and JD as they finished up the song while talking with Xscape over the layering vocals. Within a few hours later the song was completed and ready for mastering. 

sitting on the side of the couch happy that the song was complete da brat had other plans.... after the girl's left brat looked at me as she saw right through me, I guess everyone could tell... I wondered. 

"Why didn't you tell me!" she asked concernedly. 

looking down "It's nothing to tell really.."  I shyly stated.

"Mariah you have to leave him," she stated in frustration. 

"It's not that easy, you can't just get up and go," I stated in a similar tone. 

"I'll think of something," she said. 

"I'm sure you will" I stated sarcastically.  

******