3.3

New York, NY 1993.

(The Holiday Party.)

walking through the sea of executives, sitting on the back patio absolutely exhausted, and looking over the crowd, I faintly heard someone call my name and eventually saw Raina in the distance. 

Rolling my eyes, she was super hyper and sometimes annoying but nice, "You know the marketing team is looking for you? You have a speech prepared!?" she grabbed my arm as we walked toward the stage. 

scrunching my eyebrows in confusion, "What speech?" she said grabbing my arm back through the crowd as Don looked down at me from the stage. 

Tommy came out to give me a huge plague from the Emotions album. 

still standing frozen I gritted through my teeth "Thank you" holding it up as everyone took pictures. 

looking confused when I overheard another album would be coming later next year. 

Everyone screamed in excitement, except me, looking down and playing with the mic I handed it back to Don and quickly walked through the crowd as Tommy yelled behind me for me to stop. 

I turned around and yelled, "Another fucking album are you serious?", "It's a Christmas album" he stated calmly. I was calmly putting my hands together and shaking my head walking away. 

as much as I loved Christmas as a regular festive occasion I was already pissed off from barely being able to do anything besides work. 

locking myself in the room, kicking off my heels as I sat in the chair sighing with absolute exhaustion. 

*****

After a few knocks at the door, I huffed and unlocked the door letting him in the room, the space between us as he stood firm, and calm but aggressively "I think you should reconsider...and do the album it won't be a lot of press I'm sure of it." he awkwardly stated. 

Lifting my head to the side in disagreement, "Whatever"  blew under my breath, I walked past him and down toward the kitchen. As the kitten "Max-A-Million" played at my feet I picked him up a grabbed the coffee mug really thinking about the album. shaking my head at the idea.

Grabbing a Sprite soda and walking back upstairs...laying on the bed in pure exhaustion thinking about lyrics to finish a song that was recorded prior to this new project.  being in Bedford was boring so I decided to sneak out and go back to the city. 

finding the keys to the apartment, I grabbed a few things and sneakingly went toward the place. after Jon dropped me off at our decoy spot. I unlocked the door and fell right into the plush couch. 

A few hours later the phone and pager were going off. ignoring him. disconnected the cable line in the process. 

sweeping the terrace and watering a few of the plants, the apartment was a nice quiet place for me to get away from the madness, although it wouldn't be long before he disturbs the peace. 

smoking a cigarette out of nervousness. thinking about the first time we met back in 1989. 

*************

(FlashBack) Rochester, NY 1989

"Is Tommy there?" I asked

"Yes, who am I speaking with?" Lisa stated.

"Oh, Mariah, I'm so Sorry he just stepped out, Would you like for me to take a message?" Lisa said looking at him and walking through the door.

"Can you just have him call me back, please?"

"Sure, who am I speaking with?"   is this the number? he told me I could reach him?"

"Well, This is His Wife, So I'll let him know."

"Uh, Okay- Thank you".

"I slammed the phone down, I can't believe this shit," I said to myself.

******

Brooklyn, NY 1989

"Mimi, have you stopped seeing Tommy!" Brenda said

"No way! He's a Cool guy",

"He's Married!" Brenda shouted.

"No, He Isn't he told me he's separated, I'm good!" I said laying back on the sofa.

"We're just friends anyway so what's the big deal?" I questioned.

"The big deal is if his wife finds out that's your career and your ass, You sound crazy! Like do you hear what you just said!" Brenda

"Yeah, Brenda, I'm fine!"

"Okay, Mariah", Brenda said sighing defeatedly while sitting back in the chair.

Thanks for all the concern but I got this I said getting ready to the studio.

******

In the process of recording "Alone In Love"

Tommy tapped on the window and said you wanna go for a drink, I quickly took off the headphones and went to a cute little bar on 23rd Street.

"Are you excited about the concert tonight?"

"I'm nervous as hell, I just hope everything works out! I've never sung in front of a larger audience that was just mine".

you'll be fine trust me, he said laughing.

I stopped for a moment and really looked at him and he seemed like he could possibly be more than a friend to me.

"Mariah," he said waving his hand in my face.

"Sorry I was just DayDreaming," I said shaking my head

"You didn't hear anything I said...." he chuckled.

"Sorry," I said Blushing.

"Well, I said we need to get out of here and get you geared up for rehearsal!"

"Okay," I said getting off the stool, preparing for the show was nerve-wracking kinda stood in one place at first, but eventually warmed up and the crowd took in every lyric, I walked off in satisfaction with my very first show. 

Lower East Manhattan, NY 1993

Looking over the city, I took a deep breath as I opened the Itenary for the next few months, knowing I was going to be swamped with a media circuit. Sitting on the huge leather chair, walking with my cat, Max. as the phone rang as I had gotten out of the shower.

"Hello?" I answered somewhat annoyed hoping it wasn't work-related.

"Get Dressed I'll be there in 15." He stated.

"What?" I stated confused as hell.

"Are you hard of hearing or something?! He laughed as he demanded to Make sure it was a dress."He started hanging up.

Nervously picking something out of the back closet, I found this baby blue halter backless mini dress and some white heels.

Beeping the horn I looked down and as the limo, getting in he stated.

This is the first time they've gone out in a while as she stepped into the limo she instantly thought about the first time he officially took her on a date back in late 1989.