32.32

(FlashBack: 1996 The Gateway)

"Running, Taking down all I know, trying to relieve my soul"

The nightmares kept coming, waking up feeling like a brick was thrown at my head as I awoke in disillusion. I was jolting the bed trying my hardest not to wake him. slowly moving to the side of the bed feeling around for my dark blue coach bag.

as I was about to sit up he instantly grabbed my arm.

"Fuck" I belted under my breath. as he Firm but still groggily tone asked, " What are you doing?"

"Bathroom" dryly stating, as he quickly let go, I quietly pulled my bag from the bottom of the bed and walked toward the bathroom, waited a few seconds before turning on the water, softly cracking the door making sure he was still asleep.

Creeping down the stairs I kept looking up to make sure a Light wouldn't be on, as I approached the door slowly turning the knob, softly saying "I can do this!", as I looked to the side knowingly the cameras were still on as I was the green blinking light, I slowly exhaled while turning the knob to the left.

Carefully getting out feeling the dark night air. I closed my jacket, as I realized the black gate was locked I slowly took out a bobby pin and carefully felt out the lock until it opened, I began getting nervous as I began hearing dogs barking.

I ran as fast as I could, down the street halfway out of breath I hid behind a tree as I saw security / NYPD Trucks roll around.

I threw my hair into a ponytail and began to walk the rest of the way, by the time I got to the end of the road, I heard people yelling and wandering. I turned the corner so fast.

as I approached the inner city intersection, I felt relieved but also tired. trying to cross a highway was no joke. eventually ended up at a small dinner, pulling out my shades, and changing my clothes in the bathroom. it took everything in me not to break down.

It was really just going to me, my music, and my baby.

Throwing on my old north face puffer, and switching my sneakers to Black heels, I proudly walked out that dinner a new woman, at least I thought I would be in the clear.

******

They had cops looking for me everywhere It was a Man Hunt in my honor, I was in the south Bronx with my cousins Cece and Karen. they had no idea what was going on they were just happy that I was spending time with them.

we talked, laughed, and ate.

"Mariah you're on the news!" Cece said.

I gulped in fear as they describe me like I was a fugitive.

"Why are they after you like this?" Karen stated.

"I have no idea." as leaned back on the sofa.

My pager was being blown up by Tommy it was now also 8:30 am, and still no sign of me.

I turned it off and threw it in the trash outside.

My cousins decided if they don't know what I look like, then they'll help change it.

they corn rolled my hair and added hair extensions. and Cece gave me some small twisted gold hoops.

I changed into some thigh-high jeans and a Pelle Pelle Crop top with some Timberland boots or Buttah's If you know you know.

I sat on the floor of the brownstone as Karen Made breakfast, Grits, Bacon, eggs, and Waffles.

I didn't know how long I was going to be able to stay, I didn't want them to be in any danger than I was already in.