The Music of the Ainur (Part II)

Let's just pick up where we left off, shall we?

Eru talks about how great these new Elves are for a while, and how he's going to give them a ton of great stuff. This goes on for a few very wordy paragraphs, and most of the time when I read this part I just scan it for the important bits anyway.

I'm apparently not the only one who gets really tired of hearing about how happy Eru is going to make these elves and how much cool crap he's gonna give them. Melkor gets super jealous that everybody is giving all this stuff to the elves and trying to make them super happy, and he's getting ignored. 

Melkor is basically acting like that kid who has a hard time adjusting to not being the only child anymore.

He's actually behaving and doing as he's told, though, which is a huge milestone. Of course, if anyone's read a synopsis of the book, you know that he turns evil and tries to take over the world.

I mean, these things happen, right? I completely understand. You start off with just a little jealousy, maybe plotting to get one over on the Elves, a few innocent thoughts of world domination and then BAM. Suddenly you're a Dark Lord trying to murder everyone into submission and take over the world.

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Right now, though, he's being a good little Ainur and parading around with Eru and the others. Eru's probably internally rejoicing because he thinks he's finally convinced his rebellious son to join in with the rest of the fam.

The next four paragraphs can literally be summarized by saying that the Ainur and the Elves thought that this place Eru made for them was like, the best thing ever, and then there's a bit more in there that just uses the word "rejoiced" like six times. All in all, they were happy, and Tolkien went a little crazy with telling us about that.

Ok, finally! We're at the part where I get to describe some characters because Tolkien is very kindly telling us what all of the Ainur do (and what their names are).

Tolkien puts them in his own order, but I'm using the order that makes sense. He tells us about Aulë first, but to me, that...doesn't make sense in the slightest. Usually when named, Manwë, who's basically Eru's second in command or...I don't know, Student Body President of the Ainur...comes first because...he's the most powerful.

That's where I'm ending this really short little paragraph so I can take my sweet time discussing these Ainur, who we really should be calling Valar at this point.

So hey, more than one update today. Hopefully that's exciting.