18

"It's not your fault Rainn."

Rainn's P.O.V.
(May 25, 1953)

I sat in the driveway for a good 3 minutes thinking about if I should go or not. But said it's fine, nothing bad could happen, they shouldn't be here this soon anyways, and if they do get here, leave. I rolled my eyes and started the car. It is Tuesday, yesterday after dinner I promised Steve and Soda that I'd come by the DX and show them that I'm still alive. I told them what is happening but I know Steve didn't understand a thing and maybe Soda was going along with it, I don't know. All I know is, it's noon and I need to go the DX before they start to get mad at me.

I pulled out, and started driving in the direction of the DX, maybe I should go get some food. Maybe they've already ate? Oh well. I turned the corner and looked at the parking lot that was in front of me. Soda was pumping gas but it seemed that the people in the car were teasing him and throwing things at him. Steve notice, I'm guessing, and came out of the garage. I didn't want to be apart of it, so I stayed back, but if things got out of hand I would run in.

I parked next to the building, still in eye of the fight, and watched closely. I turned off my car so I could hear what was happening.

"Why don't you save it for Saturday, huh?"
"Why wait, when we can do it now?"
"Why do something, when I'll just beat your ass?"
"Steve just stop."
"Yeah Steve why don't you stop?"

I looked at Steve expression, but stopped when I heard a car coming from behind me. It all there was behind me was a field. I looked back and saw a black ford truck, heading straight for me, and it wasn't stopping. I hurried to turn on my car, take it out of brake, and punched the gas. It was so close that it tapped my bumper but not crash into my bumper.

I jerked the wheel to the right and did a half donut, and started driving in reserve. I looked behind me to see what I would be coming to contact with, then looked at the driver.

That's when fear struck.

I slammed on my breaks in hops to stop our cars, only for me to jerk the wheel to the left, but their car kept going.

My car, spun till it stopped, the hood of the car facing the DX. I unbuckled and opened the door, running for a grass area. Unleashing my insides to the ground. Gross. My head spun, and my arms ached. I walked over to the car that crash into me.

The driver, had its hands tapped to the wheel, and a stick keeping the gas pedal down. The body sitting in the seat, had a gun shot to the temple, blood was still oozing down the side of his face. He looked to be in his mid-30s. The windshield had a bullet hole right across from him.

I looked down on the dashboard, seeing a note. I opened the door, reaching to get it.

I read the text,

"Watch out for us Rainn, this could be you, just know we're watching."

-B

I brought my hand to my mouth, soon Soda and Steve we're running up to me. I dropped my arm, and held my head, "What am I going to do?"

I stepped back, and watched Steve and Soda take a look at the car.

"What the hell is this?" Steve asked, looking back at me from the car.

I sniffed, "I'm dead." I was one to never cry, I never ever cry. But now knowing this is what could happen, that was too much to take in.

The car drove into a gate, then crashed into a tree. People soon started coming out of their house hearing the noise. The only sound that was going through my ears was the crying of someone yelling for help.

I soon notice a woman the same age, running down the sidewalk, and a teenaged girl holding a baby on the sidewalk walking her. She ran over to me, jumping by the car. I could tell just by her breath, this is someone she knows, and was soon confirmed when she said, "George! Oh my gosh, Georgie! No, no, no." She cried silently, unbuckling his and holding his head, "Why? Why god?"

I heard sirens in the distance, but it was almost my feet were glued to the ground. I couldn't move. I stood back and watched everything she did.

Every deep breath she took in order to keep breathing. Every word that flew out of her mouth.

I started to take a notice to the cut on my eyebrow, when the blood fell down. A car slammed on the breaks behind me and footsteps piled out. A woman tried to pull me away but I couldn't move.

Because of me, her husband is dead. Because of me. It was all because of me. Someone came from behind me, and full on dragged me away, but my eyes never left the sene.

My eyes adjusted to the light when I walked into the DX. Steve sat me on the stool behind the counter, but I never took my eye from the window.

I watched them lift the body on a stretcher, but the body couldn't be seen, it was in a bag.

I watched the woman try to ran after them, when they pulled him away.

I watched the teen and the baby come to the woman's side and hug her.

I watched them drive away with the victims life in the back of the car.

I watched the tow truck company take the car away and Soda driving my car back into the parking lot.

I watched everything that happened, all because it was me.

"Rainn, can you please look at me so I can get this done?" Steve called.
I didn't say a word, I looked away from the broken class on the side walk, and broken gate, and crushed tree. I looked at Steve direction but didn't look at him.
"It's not your fault Rainn." Soda said walking in.
"Yeah Rainn, things happen." Steve added, wiping the blood off of my face.
I continued to stare at Steve chest. Hell no was I going to show them the note, I'm not letting these boys worry about me. No one needs to worry about me, no one.

Steve put the band-aid on my eyebrow, then came face level with me. He forced me to look at him, the stood up hugging me. I buried my face into his chest.

Soda walked away. I heard doors closing, and being locked. I pulled away from Steve and looked at what Soda was doing. He pulled out a piece of paper and a pencil, and wrote a note. He got his and Steve stuff, and my keys, and we walked out of the DX. Soda got in the driver seat, Steve in the passenger, and me in the back.

As he drove to the direction of his house, I looked at the side of the DX, seeing mud tracks of tires, and my rubber printed on the pavement, and the stuff all over the place. I sunk lower in the chair, and hoped to get to the Curtis' house faster.

When we finally got there, we got out, I bummed the whole way up the front stairs. Steve being impatient, pushed me through the door. Making a low crashing sound, of me holding myself up in the door frame.

I look up to see Dally sitting in the chair. He usually isn't here till we all are. He sipped on a beer, watching us closely. "What happened to you?" I looked away, whispering, "Nothing." I sat down on the couch, and Soda walked to the kitchen coming back with some chocolate milk, and some aspirin.

"Thank you." I whispered downing the pills. I put the glass on the table, and sat back on the couch.

"I saw you about to fight them Socs, and hear you talking about saving it for Saturday. Y'all having a rumble or something?" I asked looking between them.

Soda looked at Steve, Steve looked at Dally, Dally looked at Soda, and Soda looked at Dally. Then they all looked at me, "Yeah, us and the guys are fighting them Saturday night."

I nodded, "Good, I'm fighting too."
"No you're not." They all said.
"Give me one GOOD reason why not?" I challenged.
"Superdope said so." Steve answered back.
"Just because Darry said something doesn't mean imma follow it." I crossed my arms.
"You wanna bet?" Dally laughs.
I rolled my eyes, "Yeah I do."

And we left it at that. I looked at the clock seeing it was about 2:45 already.

I sat up, "Imma go home, I need to be there when Johnny gets home, and I want food. I'll see ya later."

I walked out, getting into my car and driving home. My car was in pieces, but it sure wasn't good looking either. So great more for me to fix.