Chapter 5 - "What made you so afraid of the world?"

My eyes slowly open to a darkened room, I glance over to see Beau still fast asleep and shirtless! I smile to myself knowing he wants to spend time with me. It's perfect. I do feel bad though.

"Good morning!" Beau whispers in his morning voice opening his one eye to peer over at me.

"Hey! I uh, I didn't know you were awake." I laugh nervously running my fingers through my hair.

"You mean you didn't want me to catch you staring since I'm dating your sister even though I'm trying to find a way to dump her and go for someone like you." He replies smoothly causing my mouth to drop. What? "Breakfast?" He asks filling the silence and getting to his feet. The blanket falls off him leaving him stood in only his boxers.

My eyes dart around the room to find something else to look at. I choose to stand up and head to the kitchen.

I go into the cupboard and pick out some pop tarts. As I step back I hit what feels like a brick wall, a warm brick wall.

I turn around puzzled but see Beau stood there with a smirk on his face.

"Enough for me?" He grins sitting on a stool around the island.

"Yeah, of course. Orange juice?" I now feel like a waitress. Wonderful.

"I'll pour some, you do the pop tarts." He gets to his feet walking over to the fridge grabbing the carton of orange juice. "See, I'd much rather date you than your sister, yeah you're awkward but you'd be committed and I wouldn't have to worry about you cheating." He chuckles causing me to frown.

"It's not my fault I am the way I am."

"What made you so afraid of the world?" He asks taking me off guard. I stumble a bit heading back over to the island and sitting down opposite him.

"A boy." I sigh.

"Tyler you mean?"

"Yep. Him." Acid becomes evident in my tone.

"Can I ask what happened? I hate him too if that makes you feel better." He half smiles but I can see the anger in his eyes.

"Thanks-" I say taking a bite of my pop tart. "And, well he wasn't the perfect guy everyone thought he was."

"You can tell me, I won't kick his ass unless you ask me too." He winks trying to make me feel more relaxed and comfortable. That's not really logical though since winking is a sexual gesture nowadays.

"So you try and make me feel comfortable then you wink at me." I tease narrowing my eyes.

"Sorry, force of habit."

"I never see you wink at my sister." I bite my lip realising I probably shouldn't have said anything.

"So what did Tyler do?" He changes the subject instantly.

"It's not a very happy story." My eyes drop to the floor. I won't mention my depression. He'd treat me different like every other boy.

"I'll cheer you up afterwards. C'mon, it'll be good to get it off your chest!" He encourages.

"Fine. So, when we moved here two years ago I was loud, angry and quite "sassy" in a sense. I wasn't afraid of anyone and people felt threatened by me and my sister. I started off in your school but at the time you were the year above so you barely acknowledged my existence..Anyway, Tyler took a shine to me he would flirt in lessons, sit at my table at dinner and then finally he took me out on a date. He seemed so lovely and caring. We got together, as in a relationship, and uh, he got possessive. Everywhere I went he was somehow there. One night me and my sister went to the club so she could get with someone and he kicked off, he dragged me out by my hair and beat me. My sister couldn't do anything because his pathetic friends held her back. He left me unconscious on the floor and went home to sleep. My sister had to attempt to carry me home and my parents being oblivious wouldn't believe Tyler had done it to me. Carly looked after me and made sure he didn't come anywhere near me. I returned to school and dumped him publicly because I was too scared to do it alone. Big mistake, he felt humiliated and started sending death threats. I became quieter and stopped messing around in classes etc. I ended up moving to the school down the road which I'm still in now." Tears fall as I try to keep myself together. He moves around the island and pulls me into a hug.

"Has he stopped with the threats?" He asks. No.

"Yes." I lie although I really want to tell someone.

"Good, if he hassles you, you let me know!"

"Thanks Beau." I smile. I hear the front door open and my family walk through the door. Why are they back early? Shit. It hasn't even been a full day.

"Charlie?" my mum shouts sounding happy. Nice to know they had fun without me. I grit my teeth but take a deep breath standing in the kitchen doorway.

"I'm here, uh Carly, Beau's here." I gulp. Her eyes widen but luckily she won't have a bump yet.

"What are you doing here baby?" she asks rushing towards him gripping him in a hug.

"Uh I-"

"He got kicked out of his and asked to stay here thinking you were home." here's my second lie of the day.

"Aw baby. You can stay as long as you need to." she grins.

"I can go back home today it's fine." he blurts out and my mouth drops. He just pied his own girlfriend even though he was happy to spend a week with me. What the hell?

A knock on the door breaks all of the tension for a second. My dad opens it and who's stood there? Tyler.

"Can I speak to Charl please?" his tone is low and polite.

"Charlotte?" my mum raises her eyebrows at me. I glance back to see Beau and my sister eating each others faces off and they look extremely close. Extremely happy in fact. 

"Yeah sure, 5 minutes." I sigh giving in. It's clear Beau has used me whilst my sister has been away. "We'll talk out the back."