Chapter 26: To Lose

"Warmth!" I cry out, as I collapse onto the couch. I snuggle up into the worn-out piece of furniture in the lair. For a couch that's easily twenty years old, it's really comfortable. I close my eyes and bury my face into the pillow.

A laugh dances above my head. "C'mon, Lexi, it can't be that cold outside."

I immediately recognize it as Leo, and I turn to face him, without opening my eyes. I hold out my arms. "Hug. Warmth. Please." He laughs, but comes closer and takes me in his arms. I snuggle into his chest. He brings me closer and I feel immediately warmed. He gently strokes my back, and I feel like I could fall asleep just like that.

"Well sorry to poop on your party," Mikey says. "But we're goin' training topside, and little boy blue is leading us." Hearing that, I pull Leo closer, and he laughs.

"We'll be back soon," he promises. "Just gonna go out for an hour at the most. We'll be back before you know it."

"Yeah," Dad says. "C'mon, talk with Splinter and me. We aren't that bad. Old people have wisdom."

"Hey, yeah." I sit up. "Splinter, maybe you could tell some more stories from your childhood!"

Splinter smiles at that. "I would love to, Alexandra."

Leo stands up and ruffles my hair. "We'll be back soon."

"Be safe! Try not to get anymore battle scars!"

Mikey shouts, trying to pump his brothers up. "Let's go get those Dark Angels!" He pumps both his fists in the air.

"Hopefully not, Mikey," Donnie mutters. "I'm hoping for a nice calm night, slight breeze, some nice stretching on the rooftops with no conflict whatsoever." 

"I'm fine with a little bit of conflict," Raph admits, stretching his arms above the head. "Keeps me in shape." 

Leo pauses for a second after his brothers open the lair door, heading out. He swivels on his feet, turning around and heading back towards us.

"Forget something?" I ask.

"Yes," Leo replies, and then he leans over and gives me a kiss. "I love you. We'll be back soon, okay?" 

"I love you too." I smile, and put my hand on his cheek. "Be safe please." 

He takes my hand and brings it up to his lips, kissing it gently.

"Of course."

I've noticed the last little bit, Leo has been a lot more openly affectionate towards me, a lot more like before we broke up. In fact, even more so than before. After we got back together, it did feel very distant when we were around everyone else. The love and passion was there when we were alone, but I feel like we both felt awkward and forgot to demonstrate it in our daily actions. There have been a lot more "I love yous" and kisses goodbye and holding hands and all the in between in just the daily moments. It has made me feel so much peace. He isn't afraid to love me. 

LEO'S POV:

"Ya know, you'd think that with Karai and the Dark Angels busting so many butts, there'd be more action out here," Mikey says. He's dangling from a ladder to a water tower up on the rooftop we're on. "But this place is a ghost town. Besides, ya know, the eight million other people out here."

"It's definitely out of character." I cross my arms and survey the city.

"You guys think Karai knows we're onto her?" Donnie asks, twirling his bo-staff.

"I don't know how she could," I respond. "We haven't really talked about it to anyone besides the Kings and the Headquarters."

"Still." Mikey swings up and down on the latter. "She's a ninja. Her job is to get in people's business without them knowing she's getting into their business. It's what we do too." Mikey swings upwards too hard, and goes flying. He hits the roof hard, and we all cringe.