Chapter 32: To be a Hero

3rd Person:

Russell Burgess stands with his hands tied behind his back, held tightly by two members of the Dark Angels. Besides these two people, he stands isolated and alone. He hears a door open behind him, and tries to turn his neck, but finds that he struggles to do so.

He hears footsteps behind him. He waits patiently to be spoken to.

"You know, this place is ridden with security cameras," Melinda's voice bites. She steps in front of him. "You're a mad-man...but I didn't know you were that insane."

"Hello, Melinda."

She rolls her eyes. "I've wasted my time on you."

"Melinda, all due respect, those turtles did nothing wrong," he says. "They did nothing to be tortured that way. And it certainly wasn't going to get you anywhere."

She whips her head at me, fire raging in her eyes. "So you let them free? You allowed the intruders to take them away?"

"Yes," he says, holding his head high. "Melinda, I don't want to hurt anyone anymore. My creations were not meant to destroy all these lives. I was simply creating. Exploring."

"You're the monster, Burgess," she sneers. "You took human beings and made them into monstrosities. Remember the Maneuver Men?"

Russell's expression grows defensive. "My creations are made from human beings who volunteer themselves. Yes, it turns them into something they weren't before. But they volunteer for that. Unlike you, I actually give people a choice."

Melinda's face hardens as he says this. She kicks him hard in the stomach, and he crumbles to the ground.

"Giving choice gives away power," she says bitterly. "That's why all your creations have turned against you, old man." She looks over at the door. "Bring them in."

The door opens. Sullivan walks in with a few other Dark Angels. They close the door behind them, and stand a ways away from Russell.

"What's going on?" the old man asks.

Melinda laughs. "Well we can't let your actions go without consequences."

"My actions were good, pure and right," Russell says firmly. "I'll take my consequences because I don't regret what I did."

Sullivan blocks the door, as do the rest of the Dark Angels. Melinda smiles, and pulls out a gun from her jacket.

"But first," she says. "We have one question for you."

"Fire away."

"Who is the other leader of the RBMC?"

"Not a chance."

"You're going to die anyway. Won't you feel better letting that much off your chest? You can't die with a secret still inside you. Who is the other leader of the RBMC?"

Russell doesn't reply.

Melinda sighs. "Any last words?" she asks, placing her hand on the trigger.

Russell's eyes widen the slightest bit, but then he regains his composure.

"I can't fix what I've done. But I have the courage to die admitting that I've wronged," he says. "That's something you'll never do, Melinda."

Her smile turns to anger. Her finger presses down on the trigger.

He drops to the floor.

"Crazy old man," she spits.

Still 3rd Person POV (sorry I know this is way different):