Chapter 5: Old Friend

The Headquarters seems to me like an old place that I haven't visited for a long, long time. One of those places that you used to constantly go, to the point where you've memorized everything from the cracks on the wall to who is where and when. It all seems kind of foreign now.

Things have been changed up a bit. They are small things, but things that I notice. Daren Wright's desk has been moved to the right and the main trash can by the bathrooms have been replaced with one that is slightly smaller. You notice those kind of things when you work somewhere for six years.

My feet feel heavy as I make my way carefully to my desk. I don't even sit down for a few minutes. I catch so many people staring at me and instead of displaying how infuriated I am, I put on a smile and hope that the eyes will shift away from me. I don't like being the center of attention.

There are piles of papers on my desk. Some of my pens and pencils are lying on the side of my desk, displaying that someone has been using my things. It wouldn't have bothered me all that much if it weren't for the fact that I haven't even been at the Headquarters and people are messing with my things.

It's clear that Agent Serena isn't going to cut me any slack. There is no doubt in my mind that she has been the person to put those stacks of papers and forms on my desk. Most people would hear about what happened to Benj, and they'd avoid my desk. Serena on the other hand, seems to want to put more work on my shoulders. Whether it's because she wants to distract me from my brother's death or just because she doesn't care, I don't know.

"Hey Lexi..." A quiet voice says. I glance up to find a pre-teen looking boy standing in front of my desk. It takes me a minute to recognize him. It's Lucas McBride.

He's gotten taller—is now about 5'3 or 5'4, which is still very short. He has a look in his eyes that I can't quite name. I noticed myself doing that a lot: not being able to name the expression on a person's face.

"Hi Luke." My voice breaks at his name. "I haven't seen you in forever." To be honest, I really feel bad. I had been avoiding Lucas even before Benjamin died. I had been caught up with my own problems that I didn't want to have to deal with him.

"How...how are you doing?" He keeps his voice at a quiet tone, as if I was going to lash out at him for bringing up my state of being. And a week ago, I probably would have. But ever since that realization about how I've been coping with things, I've been trying the best I can to maintain my anger and refrain from getting upset. But just because I'm not going to lash out doesn't mean that I have to lie.

"I'm doing...better. Definitely not what you would call well, but I'm getting there I think. I'm just still kind of experiencing the aftershock." I don't know if you can call it aftershock anymore, but I can't think of any other way to phrase it.

Luke's big hazel eyes are filled with emotion as he nods his head. That's when it hits me: the emotion that rests in his eyes: empathy.

Not sympathy; but empathy. He knows what I'm going through.

I feel even worse now when I remember. Lucas had lost his parents at the age of ten. Luke had to basically grow through his teenage years without parents. And not only are his parents dead, but they were killed. They were killed by the Foot Clan.

My heart swells when I realize how similar we really are. Personality wise, we are different by a lot. But he and I have experienced some of the same things. And my guilt continues to grow as I remember all the times I'd seen someone teasing Luke and I hadn't said anything because I was too busy to get involved.

Too busy. It sounded like a perfect reason then, but the stupidest reason now.

"I know...I know that you probably don't think that I know what you're going through. But I do, Lexi. I really do. I mean, not exactly what you're going through. I don't have any siblings and I know that the relationships that a person has with their siblings are usually really different than their relationships with the parents. But I want to just thank you for helping me get through my pain and I want you to know what I'm here to help you get through yours because that's what friends do." This is more than I've ever heard Lucas speak and what makes it all more real is the fact that he's rambling on and stumbling on his words.