Chapter 33: Healing

WARNING: There is sexual content towards the end of this chapter! It's mild/medium but it's there! Just wanted to put a warning in case you didn't want to read that haha. 

"I miss you too, Mal."

"How long do you think you'll be staying there for?" If I close my eyes, I can pretend that Mallory is right there next to me, rather than on the other end of the phone.

"I don't know," I say quietly. "That's up to my Mom, I guess."

"How're the turtles holding up?" she asks. "Are they healing?"

"They are," I say. "I mean, we've been here for a couple of weeks, so most of their physical injuries are healed. Mikey's got a pretty deep wound still on his face from when Melinda cut him. I think it's beginning to scar."

Mallory scoffs. "The nerve of that lady..." she mutters. "Mikey is the sweetest. He doesn't deserve that crap."

"None of them did," I say. I lay on my bed, on my stomach. "But that's what they got. And it's—"

"Not your fault," Mallory finishes. "Don't even try to tell me otherwise."

"You didn't know what I was going to say."

"Believe me, I know that self-deprecating tone of yours," she retorts. "Lex, you had no idea they'd be kidnapped. And you can't say it's your fault just because there are a bunch of people after you. Because it's their choice to stay. They stay because they want to."

"There are a lot of risks to staying, Mallory," I say slowly. I look out the dark window, staring so hard I begin to see things. I close the curtains.

"And those are risks the turtles are willing to take," she laughs. "Hey, I'm staying with you all the way through and you never complain."

I laugh. "That's because I can't get rid of you. You're like gorilla glue."

"And the turtles are going to be the same way," she concludes. "Even if it results in them getting kidnapped."

"I really hope that this was the first and last time that happens," I say, shaking my head to myself. "So how are things? How's school going? And Noah?"

"Noah practically is the school," she says laughing. "I swear, he's got all the professors to be his best friends. He even goes out to lunch with some of them."

I roll my eyes. "Teacher's pet. Some things never change I guess. I seriously can't wait to get everyone back together. I think Donnie is experiencing Noah withdrawals."

"Those two are practically the same person," Mallory says. She sounds amused. "Don should use that human machine they worked so hard on and meet some of Noah's professors and smart friends."

"Oh," I say closing my eyes. "Donnie would seriously love that. And it would really put that machine to good use." I hear Mikey call my name from downstairs. "Hey Mal, sorry I gotta go. Mike's calling."

"Tell everyone lots of love from Mallory."

"Do you even have the capacity to offer large quantities of love?"

"Maybe I don't miss you."

I laugh. "Talk to you later, Mal."

When I hang up, Mikey calls my name again.

"I'm coming!" I shout. "I'm coming!" When I come down the stairs, I find Mikey with his video game controllers. "What do you need?"

His eyes widen, and he juts his lower lip out. "Will my favorite girl in the whole wide world please play video games with me?"