Chapter 31: Escape

"Mmmmm. Just like the first time," Mikey says, rubbing his hands together and dramatically sniffing his box of Chick Fil A. "Same spot. Same time of year." He sniffs it again, and throws his head back. "Same beautiful, beautiful smell..."

I laugh, and dip one of my fries into my shake. "And you've been in love ever since."

"Remember when you took me on my first date?" Mikey asks, with a grin. "Chick-fil-A."

Raph snorts and rolls his eyes. "And only date."

I laugh. "Yes. And we laughed pretty much the entire way there."

"You almost died," Mikey says, shaking his head.

"I've almost died a lot of times, Mike," I say. "And now you can join the club."

We've been staying at the Farmhouse for about a week now, and yet the healing process is still at the beginning. All three of the turtles have been out of it, but they're getting better. Sometimes I'll catch them just sitting, staring into blank space, with a vacant look in their eyes. Mikey seems to be doing the best, and even he's still a little out of it. I won't pretend like I don't know the feeling though.

"Hey Emmeline?" Donnie asks. He pushes his empty Chick-fil-A box across the table slightly. "Do you...do you want to know things about the Dark Angels? I mean the stuff that we learned." Anyone would be able to tell that Don is not at all eager about the idea of sharing what had gone on. And Mom can tell.

"It's still really fresh," Mom says softly. "You guys take all the time you need. You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"Honestly, I don't think I'll ever want to talk about it," Don says. "So might as well do it now."

"Well, then go ahead. We're all ears," Mom says. She says that last part extra loudly, and when she does so, Raph freezes with his burger halfway in his mouth. He takes a bite, and then puts it down. Splinter has been sitting on the couch, listening, and Dad is by the counter with his food and Rose.

Mikey lets out a burp, and then waves the air away. "Well, I'll go first." He leans forward and looks at Mom and then averts his eyes to the ground. "As you can tell, we weren't exactly treated like royalty."

"That much was gathered," Rosalie says.

Mikey laughs a half-hearted laugh. "Yeah. First they asked us each to join the Dark Angels. When we all said no on our own, they put us in a cell together and just...tortured us." He looks slightly uncomfortable suddenly.

"You don't have to—"

"I'm fine," he says. "Believe me. I'll keep telling you guys stuff; I'd just prefer not to go into detail about the torture." He leans back and thinks for a few moments. His face lights up. "Hey, something kinda weird happened while I was there. It's about that old guy from the RBMC. Russell Burgess?"

We all lean in to listen, even Leo and Donnie. They look perplexed, which gives me the impression that this is new information.

"They'd taken Donnie and Leo out of the cell, and I was all alone. I was kinda scared if I'm being honest with you. The door opened after a bit, and the old guy walked in. Didn't recognize him at first. He brought me food, and fed me. He was nice – he said he threw in a few things he wasn't supposed to."

"Was it poisoned?" Raph mutters.

"I actually asked that too," Mikey admits. "But nah, it wasn't. He was really nice to me. Talked to me about how he wished he could do something to free us but that it wasn't in his power. But he just...he kept telling me everything was gonna be okay. That you guys would find us." Mikey looks up. "He was the main reason I kept my hope."