Chapter 2: Denial

Leo's POV:

"But how is she?" Raph is never all that considerate about the feelings of others, but when it comes to Lexi, we all have a very special spot for her in our hearts. Some show it more than others.

"She's heartbroken." Silence. "Well, you wanted an honest answer."

I would have asked if she's left her room. I would have asked if she speaks to anyone, and if so, who. I would have asked so many things; but I can't. I'm not part of the conversation. I'm listening from the hallway.

Ever since Lexi broke up with me, things have been extremely distant with the two of us. Even before then, during the three days locked in the apartment, I was suddenly her worst enemy. She never calls me, never texts me, never asks to come see me. She wants absolutely nothing to do with me. And honestly, it's one of the worst feelings in the world to want to hold someone in your arms and tell them that it's okay, but have them repeatedly shove you away.

"She rarely leaves her room, and when she does, it's when she thinks that nobody is there. She never leaves the apartment. The only person she will talk to is Rosalie," Emmeline says softly, but there is a strain in her voice. I know that she must feel heartbroken that Lexi won't even talk to her own mother.

"Not even you?" Mikey's question is a mistake and I want to reach out and smack him. But I don't, because Emmeline laughs softly. It isn't a friendly laugh; it's a short, distant chuckle.

"I think that at this time, it's better that she strengthens her relationship with Rose. I had many years to show Lexi that I cared, and I failed." She sounds miserable, even though she's trying to mask it with humor. 

"You didn't fail. You are a great mother to all of your kids," he insists. Emmeline doesn't answer.

"The funeral." I'm surprised when her voice doesn't break at the work, 'funeral.' "The funeral is tomorrow. It would be well appreciated if you could come. Benjamin really enjoyed being friends with you." I hear her standing up, getting ready to leave.

"We will be attending," Master Splinter decides, looking up at Emmeline. "Once again, I am terribly sorry. Benjamin was a great warrior and friend." Even though it's coming from Master Splinter, the compliment doesn't seem to make Emmeline any happier. She hurries out of the lair without another word. A few seconds later, I can hear faint sobs coming from the sewers.

"Leonardo." My father's voice scares me and I jump. "You may come out from the hallway now." I come out, rubbing the back of my neck sheepishly. Had he known that I was standing there in the hallway this entire time? Four sets of eyes are turned to me and I avoid all of them.

"How'ya takin' all this?" Raph asks, as I take a seat at the breakfast table. I wasn't planning on eating breakfast. I can barely do anything but sleep after the break-up and after losing Benj. I was never as close to Benj as, say, Mikey, but we were friends. We shared a room together at the Farm House. It's so strange to think that he's not at the apartment, making jokes and getting ready for football.

I've felt absolutely exhausted and I'm pretty sure that I don't look all my best. It would take me forever to look decent for the funeral tomorrow, even though most people won't even be able to see me due to my over-sized fedora and trench-coat, which is the disguise my brothers and I use.

It takes me a few moments and a few of my brothers' stares to remember that Raph had asked me a question. I just mumble. I don't mumble anything in particular; I just mumble. It's a mutter out of hope that if any sound leaves my mouth, they'll drop the matter. I should have known better.