Chapter Seven Awkward

The next day was awkward. First of all, there was an early meeting the attorneys have that I completely forgot about. Last night my mind was in a whirlwind. I meant to get here before them to have the coffee brewing, donuts ordered, minutes from the last meeting printed for reference and agenda for this meeting set out. "Oh my goodness!" I said rushing into the office. "I meant to get here early today." I said to Meghan. "Oh, it's okay I took care of everything for the meeting. Mr. Young asked me to handle it." "Uh, oh, okay. Well thanks I appreciate it." First awkward thing. When the meeting was over the partners all came out into the paralegal's area. Chris smiled at me and said he needed to see me about the notes on last night's dinner meeting.

I gathered up what I had and went to his office. As soon as I walked in he closed the door behind me. "How are you today?" He asked speaking closely in my ear. "I'm fine." I said moving away from him. "How are you?" "I'm good!" he said. "I woke up this morning and I felt so good. I felt refreshed, you know?" He said smiling. He stretched his arms out wide above his head. "I felt ashamed." I said. "Why ashamed?" He said looking like he was seriously puzzled. "Because having sex with my married boss makes me feel ashamed. Not to mention the fact that I'm married as well. How did you sleep last night, knowing you were with me?" "Didn't you just hear me? I slept like a baby. We're both grown consenting adults. You have nothing to be ashamed of...we had sex, it was good. I want to have it again...and soon." He winked at me. He started sounding like he did in the courtroom on the defense. I didn't answer him. "I have to get some work done today so if there will be nothing else?" I asked him sarcastically. "Nothing for now sexy lady." He said. Second awkward thing.

The day went on as normal: answering phones, taking messages, scheduling meetings, looking up information, completing court filings. Then it happened. Catalina Young showed up looking like a million bucks. Literally. "Hi, Dina, is it?" she smiled at me.  Her voice was low and raspy like she smoked cigarettes since birth. But it was also sensual and inviting. "Yes..."I said attempting to smile back. She was flashing that big diamond ring. Between that and her black floor length mink, together could have paid off my house and car. Louis Vuitton bag she did not buy from Damon the purse guy, and snake skin riding boots. "I wanted to surprise Chris for lunch today, is he in?" she asked. "He sure is." I said. I started to get up to lead her to his office. She threw her hand up. "I'm sure I can manage." She said brushing past me. Third awkward thing. I saw her a little sooner than I had anticipated and I think I blew it. I was working too hard to throw the image of her husband's penis out of my mind.

When I got home from work Charles and the kids were finishing dinner. Antonio was recovering nicely and itching to get back on the court. "Mom I put your plate in the oven." Zoe said. "Thanks honey." "You working late again tonight?" Charles asked. "Funny you're not." I said. "What's that supposed to mean?" He asked. "Nothing." I wasn't hungry so I went up to take a shower. I needed to clear my mind. I had so much I was thinking about. Between the guy at the club and now Chris at work. I was feeling like I was out of control. I had gone from the good, faithful wife to the chic who fucked two guys in a week. I wasn't sure what was going on with Charles that he was suddenly home and paying attention to my work hours. Maybe Kenya had something else better to do than bang my husband.

"You're not eating?" Charles asked me. He was waiting on the edge of the bed when I stepped out of the shower. "I'm not really all that hungry. Besides I have to work on this case." "Bringing your work home." He smiled at me. Involuntarily I smiled back. I was putting lotion on my legs. "You know I remember when we first met, after every time we had sex, you would take a shower and put on that lotion. It smelled so good I wanted you all over again. What's it called?" he asked. "Wild Roses." I said wondering what the walk down memory lane was for. "Yes, that's right. Wild Roses." he laughed. "I love that smell." I didn't answer. "Are we okay?" he asked moving closer to me. "Of course, babe. Why do you ask?" I said trying to sound sincere. "It's just I haven't seen much of you lately and I miss you." I was confused but I'll play along.

"I've been right here Charles." I answered. "I know, baby, I know. I just, I want to get back to us...you know? I love you. You mean the world to me. You always have, you always will." It did feel good to hear him saying this... even though I knew things he didn't know I knew. At least I don't think he knew. Part of me got this sick feeling that he was covering his tracks. But another part of me just wanted to embrace my husband and get back to us...like he said. I mean, I'd done more than my share of dirt. Maybe he and Kenya have quit their little fling and he was coming back to where he belonged. I could only hope she wanted to stop being a home wrecker.

So I smiled and said "I love you too." We kissed and before I knew it we were making love. We moved together like old, lost, familiar lovers. We kissed, and touched and licked and rubbed. Being with my husband was like something out of this world. We fit like puzzle pieces. He was mine and I was his. It seemed like forever we were together. But then it was over. We laid there in the dark, quiet room. We were still kissing and whispering love notes to each other. And I'd completely forgotten all about the work I was supposed to do for Chris's brother-in-law.