XXV

~~

Beyoncé's P.O.V.

Awkward.

Awkward as fuck.

Your mom is making me feel awk-

Nicki glared at Beyoncé, shut the hell up, Beyoncé.

The demon huffed but she kept her thoughts to herself, but it didn't make her feeling of uncomfortableness go away. Nicki and her mother, Carol, looked just alike. Like twins, Nicki was a spitting image of her mother. It was cute and a little unnerving.

Beyoncé didn't think the woman was ever going to invite them into her home but eventually she did but she didn't really seem happy to do so, and Beyoncé wasn't exactly sure why. Nicki never really willingly indulged much about her mother other than she didn't support Nicki's career choice or the decisions she's made during her career. Despite how lucrative they've been.

They were sitting in the living room now, with the TV off. Nicki and Beyoncé sat on one sofa and Carol on the other. Carol didn't offer them anything to eat or to drink, which Beyoncé thought was a little rude because she could really go for some water right about now, with this dry ass atmosphere she was forced to sit through.

You could've left me at home for this shit.

Nicki's fingers twitched as she resisted the need to smack her fiancé but she didn't need her mother thinking she randomly abused Beyoncé for no apparent reason. It wouldn't lessen the woman's view of her anymore than it already was.

But any little brownie point would help...that was still her momma after all.

"So, how have you been mom?"

"Onika, what do you want girl?"

Nicki blinked, "I just wanted to come and see you-"

"Stop your lying. I still raised you, and I'm still your mother, girl. Tell the truth."

"Could've fooled me," Beyoncé mumbled under her breath but it wasn't quiet enough and this time Nicki didn't slap her thigh.

Carol ignored her, keeping her focus on her daughter, "How many times have I read about you coming to the city, for this or that and not once did you even call."

"I did! You never answered the phone!" Nicki shot back and Beyoncé eyed her worriedly, not wanting Nicki's blood pressure to go up.

"And not once did you ever visit! And don't get me started on the murder investigation! It wasn't bad enough to be flaunting your ass all over the TV, Onika, but murder?!"

"I didn't kill him!"

Carol scoffed, waving away Nicki's statement forcefully, "Oh please, anyone who believes that is a damn fool. If they had evidence, one of you wouldn't be sitting here today and I would've rather slept better knowing that."

Beyoncé started to growl but Nicki placed a hand on her forearm to calm her down, it didn't work but it did quiet her down a little. The movement caught Carol's eye and her gaze zeroed in on the gleaming engagement ring on her daughters left hand.