Chapter Thirteen

I open my eyes slowly, taking in my surroundings. My back in pressed up against Cody's chest and his arms are wrapped around me. The clock reads 6:50 am, five minutes before my alarm goes off. I have a headache and my eyes hurt from all the crying. Not the worst hangover, but it's still there. And to make it better there's school today. 

I reach over with one hand, turning the alarm off. I roll over in Cody's arms, careful not to wake him up. I poke his cheek. He doesn't respond so I poke him again. This time he groans, trying to move his head away from my finger. I giggle and poke him a third time. His eyes open slowly and the corners of his mouth turn up. 

"Good morning!" I say, cheerfully. 

"Morning, you seem better today," he says. 

"I feel better," I smile, "But right now you need to go home and get ready for school."

"Shit! I forgot about that!" he jumps out of bed, "I'll be back to pick you up for school." he says before leaving my room.

I have a quick shower and get ready for school. I change into a white jean skirt and a pink tank-top with a black pair of Converse. Running out of time, I pull a brush through my hair and don't even bother with make-up. 

I race out of my room but stop in the hallway. I open Angel's door to see if she's there. She's not. She didn't come home from a party on a school night. I shake my head and close the door. I told Cody I was going to loose her too. But I was wrong. I already lost her. She left, just like my family did.

I make my way out of the house just as Cody got here. He takes one look at me and I know he senses my good mood has gone. 

"I knew it was too good to be true!" he exclaims. 

"Oh, shut up." I say, lightly. "Hey, we have Trey's car!" I notice his car parked in my driveway.

"That we do." Cody reaches into his pocket, taking out the key. He tosses it to me and I jump into the driver's seat. I feel cool when I drive this car, and Cody knows that. I pull out of the driveway and drive us to school.

I find a open parking space and jump out of the car. I sweep my gaze over the front of the school. My eyes land on Trey. 

"Come on," I say, grabbing Cody's hand, pulling him along. Trey notices us walking up to him but before he can say anything I toss his car key at him. I drop Cody's hand and walk away from them, into the school. 

I know that what I did was probably kind of rude but I don't want to talk to them. I mean, yeah they're my best friends but sometimes I need space. And if Cody wants to fill Trey in on what I said last night, that's fine. I don't want to repeat it, it just brings up the feeling I want to keep locked away.

I weave my way around the students in the hall, trying to get to class. I walk into the room to find it empty. I'm never the first one here.Not even the teacher is here yet! I take a seat at the back of the class and wait. I rest my head against the desk and start to think.

The boys and I should do something fun tonight. Just the three of us and no one else. But what could we do? Something fun, something fun...

I know! We can have a campfire! Well not really a campfire, more of a small bon-fire in my back yard. We can roast marshmallows and make s'mores! This could be lots of fun! 

Mrs. Carter walks into the room and stops in her tracks when she sees me sitting here. Her shocked face turns into a smiling one. I hope she doesn't expect this more often.

"Katie, what are you doing here so early?" she asks, sitting down in her own desk at the front of the room. I shrug.

"I got to school early and didn't have anything else to really do." I lie. I came to class to get away from my friends, but I wasn't about to tell her that. She would want to help and what am I supposed to say? Yeah, I think I fell for both of my best friends and I know I'm going to have to choose. Who do you think I should choose? Cody or Trey?"