Chapter Nine

I was right. Angel fell in with the popular crowd on her first day. Chase had showed her around in the morning and introduced her to some of the girls. They loved her right away. On Tuesday she tried out for cheerleading. I even went to support her and of course she made it. After that there was no question about if she was popular or not.

It's now Thursday and I'm currently sitting in math class. I give the teacher a bord stare and shift my eyes to the clock. Almost lunch. The teacher just keeps blabbing on about some formula and I couldn't be less interested.

The bell rings and I jump from my chair. I slip out the door with all the other students. I push through the door to the bathroom, there aren't too many people in here yet. I quickly use the bathroom, I leave the stall, walking up to the sink.

Angel is standing by the counter, obviously waiting for one of her friends. I give her a friendly smile, which she returns. Her friend Amber walks out of the stall and up to the sink next to mine. She smiles at me.

Amber has long silky black hair and stunning blue eyes. She's super beautiful, I can see why she's considered the most popular girl in the school. I smile back at her.

"Katie, you need to back off from Trey." she deadpans. I blink and I see Angel's eyes full of confusion. At first I was just surprised she knew my name but then her words sunk in.

"Excuse me?" I stare at her in disbelief. What is she talking about?

"You heard me. Back off from Trey. You can't keep him to yourself forever." she glares at me.

"What do you mean?" I'm not even sure what to say.

"He needs to realize there are other girls out there that are way better for him." she sets one hand on her hip.

"I'm not dating him!" I exclaim.

"I know. I gave you lots of time to claim him. Now it's my turn and he will be mine. So just back off." she turns on her heal. "Let's go, Angel."

I don't move. Mouth hanging open, I stare at the spot she was standing in. I was just told to stay away from my best friend. Who the hell does she think she is? She can't tell me what to do! It takes me a moment to notice that Angel didn't follow her.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry!" she blurts out.

"It's not your fault she's a bitch," I wipe my hands on my jean skirt.

"She's not actually like that-" Angel begins to tell me.

"Stop it," I cut her off. "If you're going to defend Amber, just don't." I walk out of the bathroom, leaving Angel behind. I can't help but feel a little upset. Why would Angel stand up for Amber, did she not hear what she said?

She's supposed to pick me over Amber. Her and I are as close as could be and I've known her my whole life. She has known Amber for three days. I just don't get it.

I snap out of my thoughts as I enter the cafeteria. I look for Cody and Trey and find them sitting at a table in the back. As I walk to the table I can feel eyes on me. I look around to find Amber glaring at me.

I sit down next to Trey, not taking my eyes off of Ambers. I send her a smile and turn my attention to my friends. They each give me a quick 'hey' before continuing on with their conversation. I drift off into my own thoughts.

My thoughts range from Amber to my mom and to even considering getting a cat for a pet. Cat's are supposed to be good company, right? And good listeners. I could use a cat. But there really needy.

"Hellooo?" Cody snaps his fingers in front of my face. I blink.

"Sorry, I zoned out." I give them a half smile. "What were you saying?"