Chapter one

Copyright @ 2020 by Jasmine Haastrup

All right reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or distributed in any form or by any means including photocopying,  recording or other mechanical or electronic methods, without the proper written permission of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain non commercial uses permitted by copyright law.

Copyright infringement

**********

"I think I'm a bit overdressed for a simple event like this." I self-consciously clutched my right hand over the tawny skin of my other arm and peered at my plunging red floor-length gown. An outfit that would have looked amazing at any other formal event, but not Imade's wine shop opening. Why did I wear this anyway?

Tife raised his well sculpted eyebrow, acting all cool and collected as usual. We were sitting right next to each other as we watched his sister, Imade interact with other guests. "You're telling me this because?"

"You're a shitty friend, you know that?" I narrowed my eyes when he didn't give a response. "I'm dying of boredom not being able to talk to anyone. I literally don't know anyone here and Imade looks pretty busy. "

He adjusted his seat to look at me. His glass of wine was still in his hand and held a mischievous glint dancing in his intense, unwavering gaze. My legs quivered in an instant, reacting recklessly to the look in his eyes. I instantly knew he was up to no good. "Well, since you're up for a conversation, then I'll give you one. Where's your boytoy?"

I glared at him. I thought I'd be used to him saying it by now, but I found myself turning defensive again. Tife always had a way of easily making me irrated. He was like the cool, frosty ice to my burning, raging fire scorching beneath.  "Don't be an asshole. Desmond's my boyfriend. Not my boytoy and he unfortunately can't make it today."

"What sort of boyfriend misses the opening of his girlfriend's best friend's wine shop?" The corner of his lips tipped up. The teasing look in his eyes had settled in.

Tife was always like one of those devious characters in a movie who found pleasure tormenting souls. Handsome little devil. I knew him well enough to know when he's purposely trying to piss me off. He had a habit of devilishly teasing people he was always around with. I was his newest victim, with his dark, brooding eyes tailing my every reaction and once again, I ignored his flimsy attempt. Besides, I didn't need Desmond to go to every event with me. We had our own lives. "A busy one."

Tife gave a humourless laughter that brought a ringing timbre in his deep, husky voice. "Aren't we all? Just admit it, Nara. Your boyfriend isn't as perfect as you make him seem."

I found it hard not to roll my eyes. Neither of them liked each other and it made no sense why. Especially how similar in character they were to each other. They were both handsome, confident and undoubtedly sarcastic pairs, but somehow they always acted threatened by each other. "I think the wine's getting to you," He smirked at my words, and I continued. "I still don't get why you don't like Des. He's charming, attractive and  successful."

"He's also an arrogant stuck up jackass. If you weren't blinded by your attraction to him, you'd know that I'm right." He continued to toy with the glass of wine in his hands. The crimson red color swirled round and round inside the tall glass, distracting me for a moment.

I blinked again, drawing my thoughts back to the grinning stud in front of me. Biting hard, I pointed out. "Those three words perfectly describe you but here I am, still talking to you. I don't have to listen to the advice of a guy that surrounds himself in the arms of different attractive women to ease his ego. On the other hand, I run a successful blog on love and dating, so I should know."